Are You Still Using Cash?

Personally, I've not used cash in ages because its much easier to use my card, however, I do use cash if I'm in a foreign country with a different currency and I always have some cash on me just incase I need it for any reason

At a funeral today and as we exiting the church I noticed a sign informing all the availability of the card machine for the use at services, or in todays case for a donation to the MS charity instead of flowers. I had a note in my hand and just that in the box but I suppose it helps that all avenues are catered for.

Anyone get caught out in a supermarket today?

Anyone get caught out in a supermarket today?
According to FB, this is happening on a regular basis, Sainsbury seems to be the worse culprit here.
Tesco was ok this morning locally at least.

From a couple of stories I've seen, it was both earlier today.

Closest I've had to a problem was at a big farm shop/café whose card system was down - I had cash so ended up paying for those of our party who didn't.

From a couple of stories I've seen, it was both earlier today.

Closest I've had to a problem was at a big farm shop/café whose card system was down - I had cash so ended up paying for those of our party who didn't.
Reading the Sky report this morning, it said all systems ok instore

I never use cash but today I was unable to pay by card at Sainsburys, the kindly chap at the entrance informed me of this. I asked him if they had a cash machine and he directed me towards it. I only needed a few bits so just withdrew £20.

Without thinking I went through the card only self checkout, paid by card (???) and left the store. I informed said chap that card seemed to be working!!!

I now have £20 in my phone case that I have no idea what to do with!!!! lol

According to FB, this is happening on a regular basis, Sainsbury seems to be the worse culprit here.
Tesco was ok this morning locally at least.
We shop in Sainsbury's several times a week and have never had an issue. Maybe just lucky....

Last edited:
As above and not for the first time, here at least recently.

We shop in Sainsbury's several times a week and have never had an issue. Maybe just lucky....
As above, it does seem to be a semi-regular local issue, but as I never shop there, I've no real idea,
if it's true or not.

I got caught out at Sainsburys yesterday, the pay at pump system wasn't working at the station and contactless wasn't working instore, although chip and pin was. The silly staff outside were telling customers arriving that they were only taking cash (we had about £40 between us), so I wonder how many people were put off.

I got caught out at Sainsburys yesterday, the pay at pump system wasn't working at the station and contactless wasn't working instore, although chip and pin was. The silly staff outside were telling customers arriving that they were only taking cash (we had about £40 between us), so I wonder how many people were put off.
I don’t think the staff are silly, I’d much prefer to be told at the start rather than find out when it’s too late, like last week when I went through a drive through only to be told It was cash only at the point of ordering, after a 10 min wait of queuing and then had to wait another 5 mins (sans food) to exit the drive through.

Saw people complaining about how they’d go hungry because they had no cash, 1. try somewhere other than Sainsbury’s or 2. Go to a bank autoteller and draw £20?

I don’t think the staff are silly, I’d much prefer to be told at the start rather than find out when it’s too late, like last week when I went through a drive through only to be told It was cash only at the point of ordering, after a 10 min wait of queuing and then had to wait another 5 mins (sans food) to exit the drive through.

You of course, ignored the part where I said the chip and pin system was working? Therefore the staff were giving out wrong information, it was only the contactless which was not working instore.

You of course, ignored the part where I said the chip and pin system was working? Therefore the staff were giving out wrong information, it was only the contactless which was not working instore.
It’s still not silly they were asked to do that and I’d rather have the info up front.

Back