Dartmoor

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Coming from Lyme Regis, is there a good place to take photos and see the beauty? Ideally somewhere good for birds as well.

I'd wait till the grockles go home.............. it's quite crowded there at the moment. Generally seeing the place and taking photos - drive the road from Moretonhampstead to Tavistock, back to Princetown and down via Vennford. Go to Okehampton and drive past the camp onto the old military 'ring road'. It's now mainly closed but there's ample parking up there. Plenty of places off the road but too many to really go into quickly, and depends how far you want to walk. You do, like most places, need the light to be right. It often isn't. It rains a lot, it's in a cloud a lot. Check for the ranges being closed (Google Dartmoor ranges). Some of the tors make good sunset locations (plenty of tripod holes on Great Staple......).
For birds, no specific places or hides that I know of. You get the usual upland small birds and a lot are summer migrants. You get golden plover in winter but they could be anywhere. Snipe and red grouse you just have to get lucky. I've only ever flushed them - I've never seen them before they see me.

Reactions: Nod
Yarner Wood is pretty good for birding. It'll be a bit quiet at the moment. You get lesser spotted woodpecker, pied flycatcher etc. and some cool raptors.

Never thought of Yarner. Used to live up the road from there too but I've always headed for the remoter parts that most people don't reach.................
I've never gone there for photography - but probably best woodland birds in Devon.

I agree with Moretonhampstead to Tavistock Road there is even the grey granite Holiday Camp built by HM Gov and the Conchie Road also the drop off the escarpment just after Princetown is lovely but a more normal landscape than the beautiful rugged moors. Yarner Woods I excellent, you sometimes get great views of birds of prey around hay tor.

Thank you all, what is the best idea for food on Dartmoor? Sandwiches and enjoy the views - or is there somewhere scenic to buy food?

I usually take a packed meal as there are very few things on the actual Moor, but there is the sporadic pub no idea on prices tho. I pack a few imitation pasties or the like as they fit in walking coat pockets. Along with my smaller lenses. Most of the best places are only accessible by foot but I might be bias as my grandad had a farm near Moretonhampstead.

Thank you all, what is the best idea for food on Dartmoor? Sandwiches and enjoy the views - or is there somewhere scenic to buy food?

The Warren House east of Postbridge is hard to beat for a pub with a view. They'll have restrictions, and it will be very busy at the moment. You're probably better off taking your own and picking your own view. Just be aware there have been a lot of problems there, as in many other places, with antisocial behaviour, littering, 'fly camping' etc so the locals are quite justifyably a bit twitchy. I'm sure you will respect the place.

The Warren House east of Postbridge is hard to beat for a pub with a view. They'll have restrictions, and it will be very busy at the moment. You're probably better off taking your own and picking your own view. Just be aware there have been a lot of problems there, as in many other places, with antisocial behaviour, littering, 'fly camping' etc so the locals are quite justifyably a bit twitchy. I'm sure you will respect the place.
I will definitely - I hate litter - how can people litter such a beautiful place.

Be aware that the Warren House Inn are extremely expensive for some soft drinks. I won't go back there after they tried to charge me £2.50 for a pint of orange SQUASH. One of the nicer places to sit outside and watch the sheep go by though! For good value food, albeit less scenic, we usually head for Ullabrook Farm for lunch when we're on the moor. Probably need to book at the moment - often need to in "normal" times.

Back