Beginner Distance from subject using Nifty Fifty 1.8 & positioning of Speedlite

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I have a couple of shoots coming up in some outdoor places in a different part of the country, that I don't get to visit very often & so I am looking to up my game. Normally I take photos up close to the subject at around F2.8, but with the speedlite moved slightly upwards so that I not only can get a decent bokeh but without the flash facing directly at the subject. I was wondering what is an ideal distance from the subject, with the speedlite facing directly towards the subject, but with also having a nice shallow DOF bokeh.

Any help with this is appreciated

Many Thanks

John

The positioning of your speedlight has little to do with the subject distance from the camera, it's all about what you have available to bounce it off.

Thanks for that Phil, the locations I am visiting are Parks / Gardens with added woodlands in the Stoke & Nottingham areas.

Thanks for that Phil, the locations I am visiting are Parks / Gardens with added woodlands in the Stoke & Nottingham areas.
you can't bounce a flash off the sky. Have a think about how you really want to light your subjects.

John - from your OP it seems you want to use direct on camera flash. Ideally you'll want it off camera but that may not be practical. If it's just a bit of fill that you want you'll need to experiment a bit (either using the flash in manual at different settings or if using ETTL using FEC and adjusting to suit) but it may be difficult to get results you're happy with using it on camera.

Last edited:
By pointing the flash upwards you're lighting up the sky, this has no impact on your picture a
Unless there is something (like a ceiling indoors) to bounce the flash light off.

Clicked on your flickr link... She looks under exposed. You'd be better off getting a micro Apollo or an ezybox speedlite or even an ezybounce or flashbender and mount to your flashgun so you can at least light her face more. Ideally, get your flash off camera, on a stand, with a softbox or umbrella.

Last edited:
Back