First Car Light Painting [More attempts added!]

Name
Callum
Edit My Images
Yes
First time we'd tried anything like this, must have looked quite a sight 2 of us dancing around a car with torches in an empty car park!

Light Painting Cars by Callum Sullivan, on Flickr

Any advice for both post-processing and painting technique is greatly appreciated :)

Callum.

Were they LED lights? They give quite an interesting dotted effect to the light trail. The trolley sheds don't do much here. I think I would have found a barer location to concentrate attention on the car and the effect.

Were they LED lights? They give quite an interesting dotted effect to the light trail. The trolley sheds don't do much here. I think I would have found a barer location to concentrate attention on the car and the effect.

i think the dotted line must have been a flashing LED, great effect with the trails and PP, but i agree the location doesn't do much for me here

I think the background one was yes, thanks :). Thanks for the input about the background, next time we'll definitely have a hunt around for a more empty car park.

as a first attempt - very good :)

I want to try this at some point too - might get myself a torch n try one of the nights :)

Thanks :). It's good fun, although there were 2 of us doing this here (One to light the car, other to do the pattern) and we're hoping to re-shoot with 2 others, so you may want to grab a helper as well as a few torches :)

i think the dotted line must have been a flashing LED, great effect with the trails and PP, but i agree the location doesn't do much for me here

Yeap it was a flashing LED torch. Thanks for the PP comments, and definitely agree with the location, needs work.

Cheers all, Callum.

Last edited:
From one Callum to another .... nice test :eek:)

Lose a bit if the separation under the front bumper of the car, but pretty good for a first go

Thanks Andrew, shall give the different colours a go next time!

Cheers Callum, by loose a bit of separation do you mean get some more light under there next time?

Have done a few more since then, some good some not so.

Car Light Painting: BMW 330Ci by Callum Sullivan, on Flickr

Car Light Painting: BMW 330Ci by Callum Sullivan, on Flickr

Car Light Painting: Hyundai i10 by Callum Sullivan, on Flickr

Car Light Painting: Hyundai i10 by Callum Sullivan, on Flickr

Also gave doing a Fire Truck a go, but outside the station was too much ambient light and inside was a little cramped, this was the best I managed I feel.

Car Light Painting: Mercedes Fire Truck by Callum Sullivan, on Flickr

Thanks all :)

Cheers Callum, by loose a bit of separation do you mean get some more light under there next time?

Yea - just to make the car stand away from the background
The bumper fades in to black so you can't see where it ends and the tarmac begins

Yea - just to make the car stand away from the background
The bumper fades in to black so you can't see where it ends and the tarmac begins

Ahh see exactly what you mean, shall take note for next time, thanks a lot :)

These are really cool. So do you just go for a long exposure and run round with a torch illuminating bits of the car?

Cheers mate. And yeah, if you remove the focusing head part of the torch (and put it in a softbox if you have one) it spreads the light a lot more and gives a nice spread over the car and reduces the chances of any "hot" spots.

Back