South-East England Osea Island

Name
Gordon
Edit My Images
Yes
I want to photograph the beach huts at Osea, preferably just after Easter, when the schools have returned and the campsite there is half the price! To get the shots I want I need the tide to be as high as possible. I am aware that all high tides are not equal so I have two questions please. Does anyone know the height of the tide I need to completely cover the base (legs) of the beach huts? Secondly where can I find the tide times and heights this far in advance?

Hi, I actually work at the park the beach huts are on the mainland not on the island. I don’t know the exact height but if you want it going upto the steps then you do really want the high tide as when it’s only half in their not fully covered.

Hope that helps

Jack

Around 5m - highest is around 5.5m. The tide moves really quickly so I would recommend at least an hour and a half before high tide for getting compositions set. It drops as soon as it peaks.
The highest high tides will be during periods of a full moon or new moon. 5.5m will cover the legs almost up to the bottom of the huts.
Neap tides occur 7 days after a full moon or 7 days after a new moon. The lowest will not hide the grass or mud.

Looking at it the the next Full Moon it will be 6th April so 14 days later - circa 20th April - will be the New Moon and next period of higher high tides.

Not sure if you are familiar with the location in any way? For all but the lowest high tides you will be stood on the path behind the waist high sea wall at the point of high tide.
The water side is a 45 degree concrete slope so difficult to set up on. What most do is set up on the mud - its firm but suggest wellies - and move to the path as the tide comes in and then follow the water back out. Some have used chest waders to get the submerged look from a lower perspective.

Wow, what a superb response, just what I needed- thank you. The timing looks good for me as well.

For the tide times unless you buy a local annual book the best you will get is 10 days in advance. Tide times.org.uk is a good web based one. You will need to look at Osea Island tidal station but because of the nature of the area it may be up to 30minutes off at the beach huts so I tend to ensure im there early enough. The hieghts and times are only estimates and things like wind and pressure can cause them to be bigger/smaller or earlier/later and even take longer to fall.

This website will give you the tide times for the whole year... https://www.visitmyharbour.com/tides/area/299/east-coast-of-england

The highest tides there each month will always be around lunchtime
Now that is very useful, more from a paddling perspective than photography. I have 5 apps and god knows how many websites that only give 1 or at best 10 days, and dont ask about weather and wind apps.

As an update I visited last Saturday at the spur of the moment. Arrived at 2pm for a 3 pm 5.35m high tide and the water was already a foot from the base of the actual Hut. Left at 4pm and the water had dropped significantly leaving grass showing. Wind made it difficult to get at the water level and I didnt want the sun out as this makes shooting from the left side difficult mid day onwards as it reflects off the water a lot but did manage a quick shot when the last band of cloud moved in, just before the wind built and it chucked it down. A few others there trying to grab THE shot having seen it on facebook earlier in the week

I find that the tide times for Sheerness correspond pretty well to the tide times for the Goldhanger/Osea area (better than the more logical Bradwell or Maldon). I have photographed the beach huts and prefer a high tide in the morning as the sun is in the east, (pretty much coming down the river from the estuary) which gives a good light for photographing the huts from the left (east).

Hi, I actually work at the park the beach huts are on the mainland not on the island. I don’t know the exact height but if you want it going upto the steps then you do really want the high tide as when it’s only half in their not fully covered.

Hope that helps

Jack
Jack.
I am booked with my MH on the leisure site on Wednesday and Thursday of this week. High tide on Wednesday is around 1pm but I can't get on site until 2pm. Is there street parking close by that I can park up for a couple of hours. My motorhome isn't very big- think Ocado delivery van (with less veg and more booze)!

Gordon

Thank you all for your advice on my trip to Osea Island. I booked to stay on the Osea leisure site on Wednesday and Thursday. High tide was at 1215 on Wednesday and the site owners were kind enough to let me onto the site early so I could catch this. The weather was kind to me on both days and the tide was high enough to completely cover the grasses. Thank you AgentOrange66 for the heads up on tide dates and heights, On Thursday evening the rain started and looked like it was here to stay. The field I was on in my motorhome was already soft and I was concerned that if I stayed overnight I would not be able to drive off in the morning. I had achieved what I had come for so decided to head for home, It was around 1730 but luck was with me and the gods of the M25 kept a clear road all the way back to Portsmouth. With that kind of luck I decided to buy a lottery ticket, unfortunately that's where the luck ran out. Lets face it though 2 out of three aint bad!
DSCF5848-Edit-Edit.jpg by Gordon Ford, on Flickr

Nice shot Gordon

Hi, reviving this thread as I'm doing photography in Suffolk this weekend and wanted to photograph these beach huts for a long time.

Just reading the very helpful tide comments... as its half moon will the grass/mud be submerged fully? I don't mind the beach hut legs being visible but if the grass and mud isn't I'd give it a miss I think.

High tide today is 5.30pm here.

Tia

Back