PC MAC what would you do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name
Paul Mitchell
Edit My Images
Yes
Well iv decided now that my laptop isnt going to be god enough for photoediting....well the screen at least, so going to either build a system or buy (depending on the market).

What would you guys go for im manily thinking about monitors as they loose me abit with calibration etc..

Im probably going to have a total of about 2k to through at setup, (i need to get a relatively good printer for small prints aswell out of this) so say £1500 for pc and base unit (iv got a good keyboard and mouse ( may look into tablets later)

what do you guys run and recomendations please :D

Go for a custom built setup!

Go with ATI/AMD Setup and the CPU and GPU run better together and things like PS benefit from this.

Get a nice monitor, something you feel easy on the eye working with, is suggest the HP2009V series monitors and i have two, bringing me on that you should get two monitors, around 20"

4GIG ram is more than enough, DDR2 will be fine, depending on your mobo you may be able to get DDR3

CPU - Dualcore/quadcore setups would be nice.

Case - Make sure there is plenty of ventilation and easy access for cleaning!

HDD - Make sure it has a fast RPM and a well know brand (segate etc..) but make sure you invest in a external HDD!! i suggest LaCIe as they can be networked and are UPPN compatible.

I suggest looking at Novatech Pre Built range

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/pc/

Gaming range is what your looking at.

Been a member with Novatech for nearly a year now, there support is brilliant for parts and there computers

As for Mac, you go in buy one, then get home and they have realeasd a new model :p

Well feels like that when i go in buy one :(

with £1500 i'd go for an i7 setup with a raid and scratch disk set up

not sure what hitman is on about with the whole amd/ati thing perhaps he can elaborate because i'm pretty sure i'm not the only one that's a bit perplexed

make sure you go for a decent ips panel screen and my personal preference is one 24" over two 22's but it's your choice

as you've said a calibrator is needed and it's worth spending the bit extra on the print calibrator if you're going to be doing it from home

regarding ram i'd say 4gb is "enough" but i'd honestly say you'll see the performance difference from 6gb-8gb

the i7 series matched with the appropriate ram are excellent and graphics card wise you'll need pretty much anything unless you're doing gaming where you'll need to beef up a bit :)

+2p

edit: however if you know nothing about anything and prefer your computers to pretty much turn on and work for the premium then i'd say get a mac, however if you're used to using a pc there is a significant shift in workflow that personally i couldn't tolerate.

edit2: as for what i run it's an intel q6600 (2.4ghz) with 2gb of ram and a 5770 gfx card (soon) with various hard drives and a 24" screen but it's due to be upgraded soon :) does the job but i definately notice when i'm doing a few intensive things

maybe he means amd/ati same diff so work better? although ive not heard anything like that personally.

please please please dont let this go to another pc vs mac thread (see the latest one in the computers section).

for 1500 id say get a dell precision, bump the RAM up and get a nice screen IPS with the change..

http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/business/Laptops/precndt/ct.aspx?refid=precndt&s=bsd&cs=ukbsdt1

(no idea why the URL says laptops in it lol)

edit: just to clear up thats what id do if i wasnt computer savy and didnt want to build my own.. otherwise custom build all the way for me. but for people that want a warranty/support package then off the shelf is much better. if you get dell take the upgraded support.

if this ends up as a pc/mac fight then i'm banning everyone involved in the thread including myself just for good measure! :)

:LOL:

Another vote for Dell if you're going down the PC route and are not too tech savvy. Also, as neil_g says, take the upgraded warranty. Can't beat next business day support in your own home :)

if this ends up as a pc/mac fight then i'm banning everyone involved in the thread including myself just for good measure! :)

That just brightened up a rather stressful day :D

I wanna Ban him, ME ME ME!!! :D

As to the OP, I just got a s/h mac to run along side a fairly decent PC [built to spec] with a Dell monitor [from the bannable one]

Both have their pro's and cons. The PC has the usual windows foibles, but if you have half an idea of running pc's then no reason why you shouldn't go with the high end models mentioned already. The Dell monitor is lovely, calibrates easily using a Huey and prints are pretty much what you see on screen. As mentioned, a good quality screen, a graphics card to suit its capabilities and and some calibration is rarely a bad thing ;)

The mac is taking some getting used to in terms of the way I deal with images normally, but nothing you wouldn't pick up very quickly enough. Its an imac, the screen is very good indeed, and I attached the huey this morning and calibrated and its even better now.... I love it to bits but can also appreciate it might not be for every windows user.

Sooooo....go for what you feel you will comfortable with, I don't think either will be a bad choice as such.

another vote for the Dell Precision here. just specced up a T1500 for our Spanish office, and it's quite a beast !

I will never use a credit Card in Windows Machine because of Virus Trojan Malwares Etc. 2 Year ago one Virus Deleted my HardDrive had to expend Days recovering files, that was the drop that spilled the cup.

no offence meant but thats a little paranoid to be honest.. all you need is a decent AV and spyware package and only submit your details on sites using SSL/HTTPS.

out of interest what virus was it you had? im not aware of anything recent that was destructive, theyre more in to stealing your details and/or money these days.

Post advocating breaching EULA's deleted

:rules:

no offence meant but thats a little paranoid to be honest.. all you need is a decent AV and spyware package and only submit your details on sites using SSL/HTTPS.

out of interest what virus was it you had? im not aware of anything recent that was destructive, theyre more in to stealing your details and/or money these days.

The post has been deleted but don't you love it when users dis an entire genre based on the limited experience they have with issues most likely user created in the first place.... :bang:

The post has been deleted but don't you love it when users dis an entire genre based on the limited experience they have with issues most likely user created in the first place.... :bang:

"ive no idea where that trojan came from, the pirated software i installed just before i got it was from a trustworthy source..."

:p

Business interest & benefit is one thing and illegality is another.

"ive no idea where that trojan came from, the pirated software i installed just before i got it was from a trustworthy source..."

:p

I'm sure the problem with windows is not the source of the software (y)

illegalx.jpg

im sure you wont mind me downloading all of your photos and using them for my own use/profit then.

either way you could end up in a civil court getting your ass sued as per those persons being ordered to pay costs for illegal downloads.

downloading all of my photos? from my computer? naaa I'm not a PC :LOL:

EULA is a good topic and legalities to install software you own (y)

uuuh, no. read one sometime.
OSX EULA: http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/macosx106.pdf

1. General. The Apple software (including Boot ROM code), any third party software, documentation, interfaces, content, fonts and any data accompanying this License whether preinstalled on Apple-branded hardware, on disk, in read only memory, on any other media or in any other form (collectively the “Apple Software”) are licensed, not sold, to you by Apple Inc. (“Apple”) for use only under the terms of this License. Apple and/or Apple’s licensors retain ownership of the Apple Software itself and reserve all rights not expressly granted to you. The terms of this License will govern any software upgrades provided by Apple that replace and/or supplement the original Apple Software product, unless such upgrade is accompanied by a separate license in which case the terms of that license will govern.

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.
A. Single Use License. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, unless you have purchased a Family Pack or Upgrade license for the Apple Software,you are granted a limited non-exclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-branded computer at a time. You agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-branded computer, or to enable others to do so. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiplecomputers at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back