Photographing the Football League or Premier League

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesb84

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
Hopefully this will become a sticky to clear up this issue once and for all.

The rules governing photography at Football League or Premier League grounds are thus:

No person (other than a person who holds an appropriate licence) may bring into (or use within) the Ground any equipment which is capable of recording or transmitting (by digital or other means) any audio, visual or audio-visual material or any data or information in relation to the Match or any aspect of it.

However, Mobile telephones are permitted within the Ground, provided that they are used for personal and private use only PROVIDED THAT no audio, visual or audio-visual mateiral captured by a mobile telephone may be published or otherwise made available to any third parties including, without limitation, via social networking sites.
Source: The FA Ground Regulations applicable to ALL Football League and Premier League stadia, or stadia where Football League or Premier League teams play.

In reality, many clubs will turn a blind eye towards photography using small P&S style cameras. However, this is in contravention of the rules set out by the Football League and Premier League (and it's authorised body the Football DataCo).

Should the Football DataCo wish to enforce more rigourously the rules surrounding photography at Football League/Premier League stadia, then this WILL be enforced and the following is the sanction:

The Club, any police officer or authorised steward may refuse entry to (or eject from) the Ground any person that fails (or in the Club's reasonable opinion is likely to fail) to comply with these Ground Regulations or any reasonable instruction issued by a police officer or authorised steward.

Refused entry to (or ejection from) the Ground may lead to further action by the club, including, but not limited to, the withdrawl of any season ticket (without reimbursement), Club Membership and other benefits.
Source: The FA Ground Regulations applicable to ALL Football League and Premier League stadia, or stadia where Football League or Premier League teams play.

Football League and Premier League teams which these rules apply to are;
1st Team
Reserve Teams
Youth Teams

and the rules apply at whichever stadium or ground those teams play at.

These rules apply to the warm-ups, match itself or even being in the stadium under the terms of those Ground Regulations (which generally speaking would be any time on a match-day). Tours of the ground would (I imagine) be exempt from these rules. However, it is wise to check with the Club first in all situations where you think it might not be applicable.

The other issue is that many Clubs themselves are not 100% sure of the rules. If you emailed all 92 Football League clubs you would probably get 92 different answers about whether photography is allowed.

The bottom line is that these ground regulations specifically forbid photography by ticket-holders (and licence-holders UNLESS you are attending the fixture under the terms of your licence - no sneaky snaps from the stands Tony!) regardless of what their information or customer service people may say.

It is simply not worth the risk or potential sanction to yourself from attempting to illicitly photograph games at Football League or Premier League stadia.

These rules have been put in place and whether or not you personally agree with them, if you enter a Football League/Premier League ground you agree to abide by them.

The only way to photograph Football League/Premier League football is to follow the advice below:

The easy way to photograph football league is to become a club photographer or work for an agency. I know that isn't easy but it is easier than getting an independant licence, Read on.
As a club photographer you photograph under the club licence and as such the photographs belong to the club. You can not use these pictures as your own. You can only photograph matches that involve your team.
You can join an agency. You will photograph a wider range of games but the same rule applies. The pictures will belong to the licence holder ie the agency and can not be used as your own.

To apply for your own DataCo Premiership/League licence you must have the appropriate public liability cover. Then in the 12 months prior to applying you must have had 15 (30 for premiership) football action photographs published in either regional or national printed media (Not web publications). These must have been paid for at the going rate as Free or cheap will not be accepted. You will need to show news cuttings of the 15 pictures accredited to you along with invoices and proof of payment.
If you are a club photographer or work for an agency you can not use any of those pictures towards your licence because they are not yours.
So how do you get pictures for the licence without a licence. Well the 15 football action shots can be from any competative league. (Womens football does not count towards a licence as confirmed by dataco Sep 2010). Regional newspapers will pay for football action from any league. It can be done but you have to be prepared to look for it. I used to believe it was a catch 22 situation. However it can be done if you are prepared to put the time and effort into it...
Important For up to date information on league accreditation why not go direct to source and email the man who can.. Derek Johnston.. e-mail: djohnston@premierleague.com You will get answers to any questions you need to ask so don't be afraid to contact him.

Public Liability Insurance
Cover is required for a licence at any level. However you should have cover when photographing at non league grounds. You will be pitchside and a player could crash into you and your equipment. Having no cover is like driving without insurance. You need it so get it. Be safe :)

UK Press Pass
In order to get a UK Press Pass you need to show that the majority of your earnings come from Press photography. The Pass will not get you into league football. However it can be used by licence holders as ID. The current league system requires you to have either a league ID card or a press pass.
Source: www.kipax.com/licence.php. Sourced from our very own Kipax.

Enjoy the match, watch the fooball, leave the camera at home.

Last edited:
Couple of points:)

AFAIK The ground rules are not from DataCo and they can't enforce or anything them.. But they do have there own rules on photogrpahy they can enforce

The ground rules apply in one form or another to every football ground in the UK at every level.. including non league grounds

Couple of points:)

AFAIK The ground rules are not from DataCo and they can't enforce or anything them.. But they do have there own rules on photogrpahy they can enforce

The ground rules apply in one form or another to every football ground in the UK at every level.. including non league grounds

You are indeed correct, these Ground Regulations are not from the Football DataCo they are from The FA and they do apply to all football grounds in the UK (however I suspect some of the regulations may be altered for Non-League).

My understanding is that the Football DataCo (being an organisation that is owned by the Football League and FA Premier League) can enforce the rules that are relevant to their operations. The ground regulations are written in conjunction with the Football League/Premier League and therefore by proxy are written by the Football DataCo (for the relevant sections).

The Football DataCo also manage the fixture lists for Football League/Premier League/Scottish Premier League/Scottish Football League, and they have always enforced their rights over these;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2005/dec/21/newmedia.comment is an example of this.

Should the Football DataCo see fit at any time to enforce the rules surrounding photography then it would inevitably be with the strength and resolve demonstrated in the above story.

Thanks James :)

In the last year I have been taking photos at the games I attend with the majority being at non-league level.

Two differing attitude at Premier League clubs this season:
1) Liverpool - not bothered about photography during the game in the slightest and were non fussed about my slr.
2) Everton - had heard they would confiscate cameras beforehand so e-mailed the club in case. Just took a few ground photos on my compact and nothing of the game.

This isn't a thread for discussing various clubs' attitudes towards photography. It's designed as a statement of fact and a definitive guide to the regs regarding taking still images of League football and above.

This isn't a thread for discussing various clubs' attitudes towards photography. It's designed as a statement of fact and a definitive guide to the regs regarding taking still images of League football and above.

A bit late on this one - but with the new season approaching............

The above response strikes me as a bit glib. It hardly is a statement of fact when this "fact" appears to be ignored/bent by the clubs and public alike. I have doubts as to the "legality" of this "fact".

I regularly visit a premiership ground with my (DSLR) camera. The club rules state that you cannot take photographs of the players on the pitch (but even this does not seem to be strictly enforced).

The club runs photography competitions. Looking at the last lot of finalists, most of the photographs are taken inside of the ground, one inside the home changing room even (team Captain as subject) - but none show the pitch with players on it. This totally complies with the club rules, but not the supposed "rules" quoted above.

I would say that the rules the club lays down and enforces carry more weight than the FA and/DataCo.
The ground is Private property, therefore permission of the owner of that property must be obtained and any Ts & Cs that he stipulates must be followed - NOT rules laid down by a third party.
If the third party's rules are required to be followed, they must be advertised and enforced by the club as being club rules, otherwise they are meaningless.

I am afraid that it IS the various clubs' attitude that drives this subject.............

Finally, could I quote from the Club website ?

"Cameras/Video cameras
Cameras and video cameras are allowed to be brought into the Stadium but due to copyright laws they can not be used when players are on the pitch. This also includes the players warm up session."

Clear and concise ..................

Just an update not sure if they have changed it for this season but for a premiership licence the 30 photos must have been in national press not regional

For Premier League applications:

Photographers
30 cuttings of photographs published in national newspapers (or equivalent) within the last 12 months (with the corresponding payment invoices if an agency/freelancer)

For Football League applications:

Photographers
15 cuttings of photographs published in regional newspapers (or equivalent) within the last 12 months (with the corresponding payment invoices if an agency/freelancer)

Just an update not sure if they have changed it for this season but for a premiership licence the 30 photos must have been in national press not regional

exactly!!! really messed my plans up.. I ahve about 60 published but nowhere near 30 in the nationals so cant apply for me prem like I thought I could... will easy get my league licence again but gonna have to change my plans for this season :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back