Thassos Greece

Just Dave

In Memoriam
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

Were going to Thassos Island Greece, next week, anyone been? Ive done a fair bit of research, but is there any hidden gems, were also into Geocaching so will find the 10 thats on the Island, will make my own as well around Golden Beach area, heres the map youll need to zoom out to see them all, click the symbols, then the title, scroll down to image galley, some fab locations, going to have a ball there http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx?lat=40.667817&lng=24.656433

TIA

Dave

nope... but it has the most pure white marble produced there... VERY expensive. So if you can broker a deal with a supplier there for me... we're onto a winner (y)

I went to Thassos last year. It is a beautiful island, we were in the Golden Beach area. We hired a motorscooter for 3 days and went right around the island in one afternoon. There are a lot of hidden coves and many ruins to look at. We also went up to a 'waterfall in the woods'. Took a while to get there but was worth it. We didnt manage to get as far inland as I would have liked as their 'roads' are nothing more than dirt tracks really and certainly werent suited to our scooter!

nope... but it has the most pure white marble produced there... VERY expensive. So if you can broker a deal with a supplier there for me... we're onto a winner (y)

I believe so Leigh (y)

I went to Thassos last year. It is a beautiful island, we were in the Golden Beach area. We hired a motorscooter for 3 days and went right around the island in one afternoon. There are a lot of hidden coves and many ruins to look at. We also went up to a 'waterfall in the woods'. Took a while to get there but was worth it. We didnt manage to get as far inland as I would have liked as their 'roads' are nothing more than dirt tracks really and certainly werent suited to our scooter!

Thank Michelle, not heard about the waterfall will google it, and put it on our list, were staying in Golden Beach at the Emerald Apartments (smaragdi) were going to hire a car (y)

Thanks again (y)

That's where I stayed. We went this week last year! The sea was fabulous!

We went to a couple of the places in golden beach and they were all very nice but there is one rather grand looking place looks like a palace that we went to and the food was devine!! It wasn't badly priced either - Hotel Enavlion. That became our favourite for the week. There was a place to the left of the apartments set up a hill over looking the bay but it wasn't open when we were there as we went just before the start of the season. I can't remember the name(useless with names!) but it is supposed to be nice as well.

We picked up a booklet called discover thassos (discoverthassos.com) that recommends taverners around the island and also tells you a bit more about the history.
There is a natural lagoon says it is hard to get to called Giola.
There are ruins on every corner of the island. There is the ancient theatre too which is quite a trek but worth it, if you continue up passed it you go up to the acropolis which gives great views of the town below!

Last edited:
We went to a couple of the places in golden beach and they were all very nice but there is one rather grand looking place looks like a palace that we went to and the food was devine!! It wasn't badly priced either - Hotel Enavlion. That became our favourite for the week. There was a place to the left of the apartments set up a hill over looking the bay but it wasn't open when we were there as we went just before the start of the season. I can't remember the name(useless with names!) but it is supposed to be nice as well.

We picked up a booklet called discover thassos (discoverthassos.com) that recommends taverners around the island and also tells you a bit more about the history.
There is a natural lagoon says it is hard to get to called Giola.
There are ruins on every corner of the island. There is the ancient theatre too which is quite a trek but worth it, if you continue up passed it you go up to the acropolis which gives great views of the town below!

Thank looked up Hotel Enavlion had a look at their website and menu (y)

http://www.discoverthassos.com/ having a look at their site now

Looks like I will be doing a bit of Urbex as well as geocaching (y) as well as all the fab scenery and wildlife/macro insects happy days

deffo go to the acropolis and amphitheatre

Thanks again for your help (y)

Dave

Shall be an interesting read once you come back as were going at the beginning of July... Esp if you post any pictures (as that will make my mind up if I should take my camera or just my OH Canon IXUS :confused: )

Shall be an interesting read once you come back as were going at the beginning of July... Esp if you post any pictures (as that will make my mind up if I should take my camera or just my OH Canon IXUS :confused: )

Im taking my 7D, and WA lens,105mm macro and 50-200mm lens (y)

I post some pics and drop you a PM (y)

Nice one fella - be much appreciated (y)

Back