The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

B4CQFAs.jpg

Big firmware update for the T5, and a few others today (it is BIG too, so make sure your battery is topped right up) (y)

I see there is a new one (2.11) for the XT-3 & 4, but I saw on FB that someone had said they had issues with 2.11, but but did not confirm which model.

I think I will hold off for a while on my XT-4

I see there is a new one (2.11) for the XT-3 & 4, but I saw on FB that someone had said they had issues with 2.11, but but did not confirm which model.

I think I will hold off for a while on my XT-4
I`ve never had any issues in the past. But me being paranoid, I always download onto a SD card first, then update.

I`ve never had any issues in the past. But me being paranoid, I always download onto a SD card first, then update.
I have done a couple OK, the issue is not with the update itself. The person who did it reported that their focus was not locking on properly and the camera had started to freeze after going to 2.11

I have done a couple OK, the issue is not with the update itself. The person who did it reported that their focus was not locking on properly and the camera had started to freeze after going to 2.11
Oh how strange. I've done all the sequential updates so far, and everything has been fine. I do know some have had problems with various updates in the past.
It's always a bit daunting to say the least ;)

The shot -

Kyoto by Jamie Moulton, on Flickr

vs the reality -

I wondered over there pretty late one night in late November, assuming that since it got dark early, and it was late, midweek, and cold, that the area would be relatively quiet. I still had to queue to get my turn in "the spot".

I found the same in other areas too. The general advice for busy spots like the bamboo forest etc are "get up early" - Well, I arrived before sunrise, and spent the next 30 minutes chatting with the other 40 or so people who had turned up early... and by the time the sun had come up, the place was packed with absolutely no chance of a shot without someone else in it.

I'm not too bothered about it, I'll gladly clone people out, choose a different crop or just a different shot altogether. I'm not overly keen on "those shots" and prefer something more organic - Just thought it was interesting and worth pointing out that there is literally no escaping it now.

(As it happens, for the bamboo forest I knew a different place that not many people know about, so after a 20minute walk I had one all to myself!)

The shot -

vs the reality -

I wondered over there pretty late one night in late November, assuming that since it got dark early, and it was late, midweek, and cold, that the area would be relatively quiet. I still had to queue to get my turn in "the spot".

I found the same in other areas too. The general advice for busy spots like the bamboo forest etc are "get up early" - Well, I arrived before sunrise, and spent the next 30 minutes chatting with the other 40 or so people who had turned up early... and by the time the sun had come up, the place was packed with absolutely no chance of a shot without someone else in it.

I'm not too bothered about it, I'll gladly clone people out, choose a different crop or just a different shot altogether. I'm not overly keen on "those shots" and prefer something more organic - Just thought it was interesting and worth pointing out that there is literally no escaping it now.

(As it happens, for the bamboo forest I knew a different place that not many people know about, so after a 20minute walk I had one all to myself!)

This year's crowd must be CRAZY and from what I can see on Youtube and the number of vlogs popping up, it must be. I am glad I went when it was quieter and got images there where there are fewer people.

It got so bad this year, this just happened, literally announced today. And Gion banned tourists entering completely last month.

Last year when I went to your spot there it was so bad I just can't be bothered to wait for a "clean shot". So just took this instead.

ELR4m71.jpg

This was in 2020.

6Bc3xid.jpg

This year's crowd must be CRAZY and from what I can see on Youtube and the number of vlogs popping up, it must be. I am glad I went when it was quieter and got images there where there are fewer people.

It got so bad this year, this just happened, literally announced today. And Gion banned tourists entering completely last month.

Last year when I went to your spot there it was so bad I just can't be bothered to wait for a "clean shot". So just took this instead.

ELR4m71.jpg

This was in 2020.

6Bc3xid.jpg

Yeah, really glad I got to go last year, because it seems like this year has been a total sugar-show, and I imagine more and more places will become more restricted in the future. Not that I'm complaining, it's 100% justified. I can't imagine how frustrating it is to have so many people turn up and basically act like hooligans compared to the Japanese people there.

Imagine the reaction to foreigners trampling all over the plants in Kew gardens, or climbing the Queen Victoria monument to get a shot sat on her lap....

Grumpiness aside though, really like that last shot.

I suspect it will get worse for the next 12 months. The current exchange rate isn’t helping. I think this is as low as I remember, 196 yen to £1. It is 50% cheaper than what I paid (128 yen).

Personally, I have got all the photos I want from all the main spots already. If I go again it wouldn't be in the Golden Triangle, or if I go to Kyoto again, it wouldn't be the main Shrines and Temples. There are a lot of nice places outside Tokyo and Kansai area too. I would hire a car and drive as well.

Last edited:
Went to get a camera for the dog walk today, thinking I would take the x-t4 for a change.
But still picked up the x-e1.
Finding that I am just not loving the x-t4 as much as I thought I would. Don’t get me wrong it’s a great camera, but I just love the x-e1

As much as I dream that Fuji will make an x-e5 with 40 megapixel, ibis etc. I am not holding my breath.

So price depending, I might have a serious look at the x-t50 when it comes out

The X-E tends to be the last camera released from each sensor generation, hopefully it will have whatever the X-Pro4 has.

I am also after an L bracket. It seems like the options are Small Rig or a no name one from eBay/Amazon. Has anyone bought a no-name one that is good?
I got a JLWIN branded generic L bracket from Amazon, it fits well, and the battery door opens OK etc. However, because it has a cut out for the screen articulation it is not very stable when the camera is mounted on the tripod in the portrait orientation. Especially on my Peak Design tripod’s built in head, which only has a small clamping area. Fortunately it is better on my big tripod.

Is this the case on all L brackets for the X-H2(S)? Or indeed other cameras with flippy out screens?

I got a JLWIN branded generic L bracket from Amazon, it fits well, and the battery door opens OK etc. However, because it has a cut out for the screen articulation it is not very stable when the camera is mounted on the tripod in the portrait orientation. Especially on my Peak Design tripod’s built in head, which only has a small clamping area. Fortunately it is better on my big tripod.

Is this the case on all L brackets for the X-H2(S)? Or indeed other cameras with flippy out screens?

The 3LT one that (Ellie short) I had was okay; you could put the side part whichever way round you want to accommodate the screen, and as long as the tripod was clamped onto metal either side of the cutout it was stable. I used it more with my FZ2000, which was heavier than my X-T30 and I didn't have any problems.

Well having got an update on the expected delivery for my X100vi order of August (with no guarantee), I bit the bullet and grabbed one of eBay. :rolleyes:
It’s a brand new one and I’m ‘only’ paying a premium of £150 inclusive of a £50 cashback offer.
Really looking forward to using this camera, which hopefully will become my grab-and-go. I haven’t used a Fuji camera since film days - a long time ago!

Jake

Last edited:
Back