Tutorial Tilt/Shift lenses/adapters and their effects on the photographic image.

Name
Edward Bray
Edit My Images
Yes
EdBray submitted a new resource:

Tilt/Shift lenses/adapters and their effects on the photographic image. - Tilt/Shift lenses/adapters and their effects on the photographic image.

TILT/SHIFT lenses/adapters and there effects, why are they special, and what can they do?

A TILT/SHIFT lens or adapter is a lens/adapter that has the facility for the optical path to be moved in such a way as to enable it to emulate ‘a little’ the movements available from much larger and more cumbersome monorail or field type 'view cameras.' The movements available can be either to the side/up/down (SHIFT) or angled (TILT), or a combination...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator:
TILT page 2

Another large benefit of the TILT function of a lens/adapter is in Landscape photography when it can allow the use of larger apertures to be used (either due to low lighting conditions or to prevent a lens having to be used at a smaller f-stop than the ideal, which would cause overall softening of the image due to diffraction) whilst still maintaining the perception of a large ‘depth of field’ (area in focus).

Unfortunately I do not currently have any images which could demonstrate this aspect of using Tilt on a lens so if a kind soul has any they would be willing to contribute it/they will go here!

It can also be used to selectively choose an object in the landscape and reduce the area around it, much as in the fake miniature type shot described above which would give much greater prominence to the object.

Unfortunately I do not currently have any images which could demonstrate this aspect of using Tilt on a lens so if a kind soul has any they would be willing to contribute it/they will go here!

SHIFT, TILT will have no bearing on the following uses of a TILT/SHIFT lens

One of the main uses for the SHIFT function in a lens is to correct for converging verticals in architectural images, but it can also be used artistically to create more diverging verticals.

This is an uncorrected image of diverging verticals:

slightbacktilt.jpg

This is a corrected image using the SHIFT function of a lens/adapter (could have used a little more SHIFT but then I would have cut the chimney pots off and I couldn't go back any further).

Corrected.jpg

This is an image with the diverging verticals enhanced by the use of the opposite SHIFT to the corrected image and could be used for artistic purposes:

Shiftdownlargerbacktilt.jpg

SHIFT to give clear sight of a mirror or glass area.

The SHIFT function can also be used to ensure that the photographer's image is not seen in photographs of mirrors or glass which would be to the detriment of the image being created. Paticularly useful when photographing Shopfront windows.

24tse.jpg

Uses of a SHIFT lens continued:

Another use for the SHIFT function for making very accurate panoramic images to widen the angle of view of a lens whilst keeping distortion to a minimum. These images were all taken with the camera on a tripod in a vertical orientation:

Image 1, Lens SHIFTed left, Image 2 Lens Centred, Image 3, Lens SHIFTed right

Left.jpg
centre.jpg
Right.jpg

Combined image

pan1.jpg

Similar with the lens SHIFTed up and down with the camera in a vertical position:

50longpansmall.jpg

Similar panorama of 3 images SHIFTed left, Centred, SHIFTed right, camera in horizontal position.

tamarstitch.jpg

As always, excellent write-up (y)

Thank you for taking the time and effort to share.

Ed

Thanks for de-mystifying the tilt/shift lens. Good article and easy to understand. Thank you.

Back