Scotland West Coast of Scotland advice please.

Name
Gordon
Edit My Images
Yes
I am thinking about a trip to the west coast of Scotland for landscape photography next year, Probably in May to avoid the midges but, as I am retired timing and length of stay are flexible. I shall be travelling from Hampshire in my small motorhome (think Ocado size van but with more alcohol and less veggies) I will be accompanied by my lazy greyhound, neither of us do long hikes nor can we be trusted with a map and compass.
I would appreciate suggestions as to what places we should plan to visit, I am aware that the beaches are spectacular in that area so would like to include these. If you can suggest campsites for stop overs that would be a bonus but I can get those from other sites when I know where I am headed, I believe the Isle of Skye is well worth a visit so advice on that area would be welcome.

All suggestions welcome.

Skye was empty when I went there a few years back but I believe it's a bit busier now. Don't count on totally avoiding the midges in May. If it's been raining and it's still, they'll be there. Alcohol may help but take some Smidge with it :LOL: Do Skye then just carry on up the mainland west coast. You'll be tripping over beautiful landscape. You can wander good tracks to lochs tucked away in the hills but you don't have to. Recommended - Loch Carron, Torridon, Loch Clair, Loch Maree, the coast road up to Ullapool, north from there up into Assynt. Applecross is a must do for a lot of people but you shouldn't take a motorhome over the mountain road. People do but.... the NC500 has made it so busy you spend the whole time trying to squeeze past other vehicles without hitting rocks or cars, vans, motorbikes, cyclists........... The coast road, on the other hand, is easy and very scenic. And please don't use passing places to stop and take photos (unless the road is empty). I can only recommend Sands camp site on the Rubha Reidh road out of Gairloch (you might even find me there if you're really unlucky ;)). The sunsets along that coast are spectacular. Pack clothes for the Arctic, the Med and everything in between - you're likely to need them all! You should use a largish scale map even just driving around otherwise you'll miss so much. There aren't many roads so if you just wander aimlessly you'll spend the whole time up and down the same one.

Lewis and Harris for spectacular beaches and the Callanish standing stones....
Glen Coe, Glen Etive, Glenfinnan, Kilchurn Castle...
This is a good guide....
The Photographer's Guide to Scotland - Skye, Glen Coe & the Trossachs https://amzn.eu/d/94HrbIl

Agree with the suggestions so far, but it hardly matters where you go in Scotland as a whole, and the west coast in particular, you will find superb places and views.

As mentioned by Jan be prepared for all types of weather. As a frequent visitor to NW Scotland I've walked in T shirt and shorts in February and seen a months worth of rain in 24 hours in May.

Skye is excellent but can get VERY busy and it is a deceptively large island.

In addition to the Sands campsite (https://www.sandscaravanandcamping.co.uk/) near Gairloch
there is another site in the village ( https://gairlochholidaypark.co.uk/)

Others I know are at

Ullapool( http://www.broomfieldhp.com/ ),

Ardmair, about 4 miles north of Ullapool (https://www.ardmair.com/), and

Durness(https://sangosands.com/#facilities)

However, if you do want to use them you will need to book, and probably very early

Have a look at the excellent WalkHighlands website(https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/). The walks section has descriptions of hundreds of walks all over Scotland; everything from very gentle strolls to full days in the hills. All the routes show the distance, profile and have photos, which are a handy guide to what you can see in the area, even if the walk doesn't appeal.

Have a great time and prepare to become addicted to the NW.

Dave

Thank you Tringa.
I did travel the NC500 in May this year but I was with a friend who just wanted to tick the box and get the T shirt! We travelled from Hants and covered 2000 miles in just over 2 weeks. We went from East to West but didn't stop anywhere long enough to appreciate the true beauty of the place. For this trip I want to take a more leisurely pace and just cover a smaller area.

its a long time since I went up there but two memorable trips.
Start at Fort William , there is a good CC Club site there on the shores of Loch Linne then take the A380 to Mallaig , that takes you through Glenfinnan ( Viaduct) , past the place where Charlie raised his standard , past the silver sands at Morar to Mallaig .
If you want wilderness cross over Loch Linne and head towards Strontian.
Next one Loop round via Spean Bridge ( Commando Memorial ) drop down to Pitlochry ( Visit the Edradour Distillery) then take the road to the isles ( Tummel and Loch Rannoch) , ( Queens View ) as far as Rannoch Station , then you run out of road.
Don't forget to go home via the A1 through Northumberland ( Alnwick , Holy Island)

Have a good and enjoyable trip

Thank you Tringa.
I did travel the NC500 in May this year but I was with a friend who just wanted to tick the box and get the T shirt! We travelled from Hants and covered 2000 miles in just over 2 weeks. We went from East to West but didn't stop anywhere long enough to appreciate the true beauty of the place. For this trip I want to take a more leisurely pace and just cover a smaller area.

Sadly a lot of people see the NC500 as a tick box exercise. Personally I feel sorry for them, and they're the ones who get the locals' backs up. We've been staying at Sands for a couple of weeks most years for quite a long time and we're still finding new places to go. You could spend years in the north and west of Scotland and not see it all.
If you find yourself in need of some mindfulness spend a few hours at Inverewe gardens (Poolewe). About as far from a formal garden as you can get - a forest with a surprise round every corner. Wildlife may not be your thing but you may spot a red squirrel there. Wherever you are look for seals, otters and white tailed eagles along the coast and pine martens and golden eagles anywhere.

Jannyfox. Thanks for your input, I am indeed interested in wildlife and will be on the lookout for all of the above. I sighting of white tailed eagles would be amazing.

MV Stardust out of Portree is the most reliable for eagle sightings - never failed me - they seem to have Fifey on the payroll

although the trip out of Ulva Ferry is pigging brilliant I'm no birder but a trip out to Lunga is unmissable

and if the budget will stretch to it I can heartily recommend a trip out with the folks at the Skye Photo Academy - they know all the best locations down to the time of day and the precise location for your tripod feet

If you're going to Skye, at least invest in their guide in which they give away many of their hard earned secrets - a superb guid to the island

and if you are to end up drifting, around this amazing and life affirming country this is my favourite guide - worth every penny

Dave

Dave, thanks for your suggestions. I would love to take the boat trips, unfortunately I am travelling with my greyhound and wouldn't be able to leave her on her own in my motorhome.

contact the operators

I'm pretty sure that they allow dogs (at least Stardust do)

eagles by their nature are difficult to spot or get close to

the boaters know where the eagles hang out and wait for the mackerel

and you will likely be rewarded with a white tail taking a fish from the water within 20 feet

:)

Skye is stunning and can easily keep you occupied for a week, if your van has heating I would strongly suggest November- Early March is by far the best time of year, a lot less people around and the landscape is stunning, often with snow on the hills. Some of the best places to visit are at their best at sunrise, far better when sunrise is at 7.30 rather than 3am

Anywhere on the West Coast will either be wet or plagued by midgies in the summer. But the landscapes tend to be a bit more dramatic on the West as the mountains are more pointy.

East Coast, less rain, less midgies, but the mountains are more rounded.

West Coast locations that I would include are Skye, Torridon, Glen Coe, Assynt.

Don't rule out the islands such as Orkney, Shetland, The Western Isles or Mull.

That is just for starters. I've lived in Scotland all my life and still don't know it as well as I would like.

You might find that you go to some places and like it, do you keep coming back to different places

Hope this helps??

Gairloch Marine Wildlife Centre (guess where they are.....!) do boat trips out to the Shiant Islands (just before you get to Lewis) and the bird life there is amazing. They dog sit by arrangement. If your dog hasn't been on a small boat before probably best not to take it on one, especially not a RIB, for the sake of the dog and the other passengers. It it's a happy boating dog then fine.

All the above mentioned places are spectacular and on their day, epic. You don't need fine weather, some of the best images taken in Scotland as a whole, including the West, have been taken on days that most people wouldn't venture out in.

I must vouch for the West Coast, my local patch is excellent too. All of that coast, from Maidens to Portencross, I can vouch for.

Torusim is huge in the Ayrshire area too, you shouldn't have any trouble finding pet friendly accomodation.

The information here that's been given out is excellent. Don't forget Loch Inver and Suilven though. There is the walk to Glen Canisp lodge and onto Suilven (you don't have to climb it) but the walk along that loch gives great views to a very distinctive scottish mountain. Assynt in general is well worth spending time in as is Torridon.

the drive up past loch lomand through Glencoe is stunning we headed up and stayed at sunnyside croft touring and camping a small campsite near Malaig views overlooking the beach and see we sat and watched some stunning sunsets. we took the ferry across to skye (book ferry a couple of days in advance) Fairy pools worth a look especially after some rain but quiet a good walk from the carpark up past the various water falls . my wife wanted to visit the old man of storr but we didn't get chance but she did go back and climb up it a year later and sent me some lovely pictures so worth a visit. we then drove up to Eilean Donan Castle which was a good morning out and some nice reflection photos weather permitting.

Back