Tutorial What is a lens hood and should you use one?

Garry Edwards

Name
Garry Edwards
Edit My Images
No
Garry Edwards submitted a new resource:

What is a lens hood and should you use one? - A lens hood is that cheap bit of plastic or rubber that probably came with your expensive lens

What is a lens hood and should you use one?

If you’ve struggled your way through any of my other tutorials then you’ll know that I always bore people with a bit of history because it can be very relevant, so I’m going to start off by explaining how things used to be before we had zoom lenses.

The first Zoom lens for still cameras was probably the Voightlander Zoomar, back in 1959, and today most of us have at least one zoom lens. But, until zoom lenses took over, controlling lens flare...

Read more about this resource...

Another great article Garry - one that a LOT of photographers should read and take note of. (y)

Just one point - you have an example where you suggest using a CPL in addition to a lens hood - the problem is the majority of hoods will prevent you from adjusting the CPL when they are attached (I have seen a few hoods with a little flap you can open to adjust a CPL, then close, but as far as I know these are very much in the minority).

Just one point - you have an example where you suggest using a CPL in addition to a lens hood - the problem is the majority of hoods will prevent you from adjusting the CPL when they are attached (I have seen a few hoods with a little flap you can open to adjust a CPL, then close, but as far as I know these are very much in the minority).
Thanks, good point, I forgot that, it isn't a problem with my own lens hood . . .
I'll make the necessary change once I've figured out how to explain it.

I've never found it a problem. I adjust the CPL, then add the lens hood before I take any shots.

Back