What quality export for projector?

Name
Jeremy Moore
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I've been asked to provide some photos for a slide show. The organiser doesn't know what quality to export them at and neither do I. Should I assume that the projector's software will process them to the required quality? And if so what do I send them as?

Thanks in advance.

Projector resolution is like TVs. Most common is 16:9 aspect ratio with 720 px in height, 1080px or 2160px for 4K. I would send jpgs 2160 px high.

I doubt that the projector will be 4k, but if you go on the premise that it is, you need 3840x2160 as a pixel resolution to match the projector pixel for pixel.

I also doubt that anyone will be looking with their noses up against the screen, so if you assume a (very generous) 6ft viewing distance, you need around 50ppi and that's only for someone with 20/20 vision. That drops to a very low 7ppi at about 40ft, so you could very probably get away with lower.

I don't know what size they will be projecting at, but assuming a generous 6ft x 4ft, then that tallies up to around 3k [pixels] on the longest side which is absolutely fine for most digital cameras.

I would do a Lightroom export of 3k on the longest side and go from there. For my lessons, I was using 1k (longest side) images and they were fine as it was a classroom and the closest person was about 10 feet away. If you're presenting alongside, and want to show close up detail, do another slide with a crop of the detail and present that.

I'd say try and find out the projector's native resolution, then prepare the images at that resolution. That way you have control over the final image - no possibility of artefacts introduced by the projector.

What software is being used for the slideshow - that might be worth knowing.

I'd say try and find out the projector's native resolution, then prepare the images at that resolution. That way you have control over the final image - no possibility of artefacts introduced by the projector.

What software is being used for the slideshow - that might be worth knowing.

TBH I've no idea, and I doubt the person organising it does either....! My guess is that she will just get a load of phone pics (not mine obviously.....) and upload them. This is what she said -

"we are just taking them as they come and then shifting over onto Google Slides,"

I doubt that the projector will be 4k, but if you go on the premise that it is, you need 3840x2160 as a pixel resolution to match the projector pixel for pixel.

I also doubt that anyone will be looking with their noses up against the screen, so if you assume a (very generous) 6ft viewing distance, you need around 50ppi and that's only for someone with 20/20 vision. That drops to a very low 7ppi at about 40ft, so you could very probably get away with lower.

I don't know what size they will be projecting at, but assuming a generous 6ft x 4ft, then that tallies up to around 3k [pixels] on the longest side which is absolutely fine for most digital cameras.

I would do a Lightroom export of 3k on the longest side and go from there. For my lessons, I was using 1k (longest side) images and they were fine as it was a classroom and the closest person was about 10 feet away. If you're presenting alongside, and want to show close up detail, do another slide with a crop of the detail and present that.

Thanks. I'll try and get some more info from her but if unsuccessful I'll give those figures a go. :)

TBH I've no idea, and I doubt the person organising it does either....! My guess is that she will just get a load of phone pics (not mine obviously.....) and upload them. This is what she said -

"we are just taking them as they come and then shifting over onto Google Slides,"
TBH nowadays it doesn’t matter much, if at all. The tech should be able to cope with what is thrown at it. (Apart from vertical video - which should be thrown straight back). It’s more about trying to ensure consistency.

Back