120 format film scanning on Epson V100

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Here's a general question for anyone that knows:

I have an Epson Perfection V100 scanner that does a pretty good scanning job, however, the film holder that I got with it only does 35mm film strips and mounted slides. My question is: how could I get the thing to easily scan 120 film? At the moment I'm using black electrical tape to hold the film down over the slide holes and then scan, but the scanner cuts off about 10% of the image on all sides of the film.

Perhaps some other kind off film-holder-adapter thing would work better. Any suggestions?

Meh... There has to be a way! I just won this scanner off eBay for like nothing and WILL make it work :D

Can't be done, the scan is too narrow, its only for 35mm film.
You could scan as though it were reflective material like a magazine or polaroid photo, for b/w you'd have to reverse the b/w in pp, slides might come out ok, but I doub't it, colour neg will be a complete pain in the arse to try and colour correct.
Scan two halfs and merge them in pano software.....:puke:

To be quite blunt, you're stuffed.

You will find it easier and get better results slide copying.

These independent film holders are very well thought of as being better than those supplied by Epson, even with their more expensive scanners..

CLICKY

Dunno anything about your particular scanner though.

joxby and cherryrig - you're right - the top light isn't as wide as a 6x4.5cm (it's the 4.5cm - actually 4.3cm part that's getting chopped). I've measured the width of the top light and it comes in at 4cm, so theoretically I should be able to have a scan with 3mm chopped off - which I can live with for now...

The problem is the actual holder which cuts off even more and also unnecessarily along the film's length as well. Perhaps something like the holders CT has suggested may work. Those holders actually gave me an idea, CT. Two pieces of glass... hmmm...

You mean position the light box upside down with the negs sandwiched between it and the scanner surface?

Hmm, that could work...

I think you're gonna struggle, the light itself might be 43mm but the area that is scanned is probably less, the light isnt the problem.
If you're gonna use glass, you need anti-newton glass, ordinary glass will create more problems than it solves.

register as a charity, make an appeal for donations, buy a cheap m/f scanner

:D

Back