35mm film retrieval.

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
It's a recent thing that I have wound a few unexposed films into the cassette, mostly whilst either trying to load a camera (is it winding?... try to rewind it to feel if it is caught on the take-up reel...oops) and when moving a part used film to another camera.
It is becoming a big deal for me. I have one of those film retriever things that uses plastic, film like tongues to get the film (Kaiser). It has only ever worked once for me.

Anyone have suggestions for retrieving a few films?

Persevere, is all I can say. I have one of those devices for pulling out the tongue of a film. Works well for me. I think there is definitely a knack to it.

Pop the top of the film cannister off in complete darkness, feed the leader through the slot and replace the cap.

Used to do this in the 80's and 90's.

Persevere, is all I can say. I have one of those devices for pulling out the tongue of a film. Works well for me. I think there is definitely a knack to it.

I agree. I find that some films are easier to retrieve than other for some reason. I have an old test-roll of Agfa Vista Plus 200 that I can snag every time, but Ilford HP5+ is a PITA.

I also used to use some thick, plastic sticky on one side tape to push into the slot, turn the cassette until the tape "caught" the film and then pull the leader out.

Not sure if this tape is still available.

That's good. Like I said, 'It always worked for me'. (y)

I always carried a changing bag at the bottom of my camera bag for problems like this.

Put the cassette in the changing back then: pop off the cap, pull out the film, push back the film back in with the tongue out and push on the cap. Mind you, the way caps are fitted these days makes it harder to do this than it used to be.

Well I use the Jessops film retriever but silly prices on ebay now (bought mine a few years back for £3), so unless you are going to retrieve a lot of films or don't care about money....I'd go with the suggestions above.

Back