35mm Reloadable Cassettes That Are Not Rubbish

Regretably, that's been a long time problem with felt light traps.

The only really decent re-usable cassettes were the mechanical opening ones for Leicas and Contaxes, but they're no good for any other cameras that lack the mechanism to operate them. There's more on the subject here...

In the meantime, I don't know if these will be any better than what you've got. It's an American company so delivery may be a deal breaker...

Last edited:
I know what you mean, I've half a dozen of the same. The felt is a lot thicker than "standard" pre filled cassettes. I've got as yet an unused slide film (Kodak movie stock) that came in one of these:

The light proof material looks better. I bought a light meter from them and the service was fine. Not sure if it was just lucky but I didn't have to pay VAT and import duty. Just over £23 at current exchange rate for these so well under 50p.

Checked their site. They charge VAT at checkout so the cost is nearly £28, 56p each. I'm going to order and will report back.

Last edited:
Looking at those single use ones linked to above, I reckon a few moments with a fine screwdriver (or similar!) would open them up for reuse (with care). Of course, that would still leave the potential problems of dust in the felt and fibre leakage from it but would reduce the cost per film IF it worked.

I'll have a play when I've used one and let you know.
Arrived today. Look good.
rsz_img_20240731_193013993.jpg

They go together well. With some levering under the tabs they come apart easily. The assembled one has been undone half a dozen times and no reason to think it won't be light tight after that.

Now whether the felt has picked up any dirt when it comes to reuse is another matter. However as they come completely apart at least you can closely inspect the felt and try and clean it. The felt is loads better than those @ianbarber describes at the top of the thread.

When doing the checkout VAT is only charged for EU deliveries. So the cost remains $29.99 UK delivered. At today's exchange rate that is £23.40 so 47p each which I'm satisfied with.

Will report back when I've had film through them.
Edit: 10 days from order to delivery.

Last edited:
Even if they can only be reused a couple of extra times each, it's a bonus!

I’m sure everyone knows about it but i prefer used cassettes. Taping the new film with sellotape to the old one.
Analogue wonderland offers free cassettes when buying from them. I’m not promoting them by the way.
I’m stingy so to really keep the cost down per roll that’s the only way i would do it

Back