A few Bee shots from today

Name
Bill
Edit My Images
No
First 4 images taken at an ISO of either 360 or 560 with the last image at ISO 1100 - taken with a Nikon D810

All are crops, some quite big ones with some PP in LR applied to all the images

some taken with a 50 year old MF Nikon "micro" lens - £100 used - MFD is 2 inches - I think

some taken with an "expensive" Nikon with a MFD of 1mtre - £1,500 new

a lightweight tripod was used for all shots

( I have left the BG's as is)

TP_Bee_1.jpg

TP_Bee_20.jpg

TP_Bee_3.jpg

TP_Bee_4.jpg

TP_Bee_5.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice Bill. (y)

Paul.

Thanks Paul

images 1, 2 and 4 were taken with the Micro-Nikkor-P 55mm f/3.5 - taken @ f/5.6 - lens was manufactured in 1972

Images 3 and 5 were taken with the Nikon 105mm f1.4, current model - taken @ f/5.6 and f/7.1 respectively

I'd forgotten what hard work MF shots are

Last edited:
Played around using the Nikon 105mm f2.8 VR today ........ you can get quite close with this lens

D810 & D850 used

ISO's 280 and 320 - the sunlight was much stronger today versus yesterday, (images above)

quite high shutters speeds as Bees never seem to stop moving

It's certainly the easier of the 3 lenses to use for close ups, but it does produce some unusual OOF BG areas, but maybe that was just the background today.

Here's a few images for interest all @f/5.6 - (I realise that I now need to use higher F stops to get a better, even if only slightly, DOF) - I have used the Nikon V1 with a 300mm lens for quite a lot of my Dragonfly shots and that's the next combination I am going to try

TP_105VR_Bee_1.jpg

TP_105VR_Bee_2.jpg

TP_105VR_Bee_3.jpg

TP_105VR_Bee_4.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice indeed. Aren’t modern cameras lovely. High ISO has dented the quality at all ;)

Back