A few different flies

Well done Derek. Very good capturing predator and prey.

All done with available light according to the EXIF data. What aperture were you using? (Not showing in the EXIF data at Flickr) Were you working hand-held? (I'm thinking about apertures, shutter speeds and ISOs, with DOF in mind, especially for the last two.)

Last edited:
Cheers Nick, yea, dont mind the excif,
Settings as follows,
F8, iso 400. Exp 1/200.
Flash was fired, a kx 800 twinflash.
Lens was a Lester A Dine 105mm macro and bellows, with about 100mm ext on the bellows, shooting on a ff camera.
All my shots are hand held in the garden, and as you can imagine, not the easiest setup to handhold while leaning into and over bushes.
I know I'd be better off with a crop body or even smaller but it's what I have. I could stop down more but then that leaves me short of light, and it all seems to go pear shaped then, as light gets harsher the more you need.
For me this is a decent balance. It's all a trade off.
Cheers
Derek

Cheers Nick, yea, dont mind the excif,
Settings as follows,
F8, iso 400. Exp 1/200.
Flash was fired, a kx 800 twinflash.
Lens was a Lester A Dine 105mm macro and bellows, with about 100mm ext on the bellows, shooting on a ff camera.
All my shots are hand held in the garden, and as you can imagine, not the easiest setup to handhold while leaning into and over bushes.
I know I'd be better off with a crop body or even smaller but it's what I have. I could stop down more but then that leaves me short of light, and it all seems to go pear shaped then, as light gets harsher the more you need.
For me this is a decent balance. It's all a trade off.
Cheers
Derek

Thanks for the info. So you were using flash. Interesting what you say about harsher light with higher power. I'm running my KX800 at about half power most of the time and don't notice any increase in harshness with increased flash power, even if I use it at full power (which I don't like to because the recycle time gets too long for my purposes). I wonder if the difference is to do with the diffusion arrangements?

Yes, I can well imagine that is a difficult rig to hand-hold (I thought it probably would have been hand-held for that type of shot). Quite bulky I would think, and quite possibly rather heavy too, especially for leaning into/across bushes etc. Manual focus too presumably. So well done again getting those shots.

1st and 2nd shots are really nice on the eye`s as I like to see the complex pattern they have.
I didn`t know Dung flies are predictors.
Maybe a shot of your setup would be nice ?

Thanks for the info. So you were using flash. Interesting what you say about harsher light with higher power. I'm running my KX800 at about half power most of the time and don't notice any increase in harshness with increased flash power, even if I use it at full power (which I don't like to because the recycle time gets too long for my purposes). I wonder if the difference is to do with the diffusion arrangements?

Yes, I can well imagine that is a difficult rig to hand-hold (I thought it probably would have been hand-held for that type of shot). Quite bulky I would think, and quite possibly rather heavy too, especially for leaning into/across bushes etc. Manual focus too presumably. So well done again getting those shots.
1st and 2nd shots are really nice on the eye`s as I like to see the complex pattern they have.
I didn`t know Dung flies are predictors.
Maybe a shot of your setup would be nice ?

I'm only getting to grips with the kx 800 as yet. Have only just managed to diffuse it enough to cut out specular highlights, I need more experimentation to see how it performs with higher power.

I will post both setups, my previous ringflash setup and my current kx 800. Just give me a few mins to sort it out

Back