A few shots from the garden.....

Lovely shots there, 1st one is nice.

Nice set. I like them all, most of all the last one for me.

I see you used an AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4 ED VR, using f/32 for the last two. Would that have been with a close-up lens? (Do I see a small amount of vignetting from a close-up lens in the bottom corners of the second, uncropped, image?) If you were using a close-up lens(es), I wonder what you used for the first one, as you got very close in with that one? And/or perhaps it was a rather substantial crop?

The flash looks to be producing nice illumination. Would you care to share some info about your flash setup?

Diffraction softens images a lot with small apertures. Have you done anything particular with the processing to mitigate that? (The reason I ask is that I use minimum aperture most of the time for invertebrates and I use some quite aggressive sharpening.)

I see you have some dust on your sensor - that of course is one of the problems with using very small apertures; dust shows up all too well. :(

Nice set. I like them all, most of all the last one for me.

I see you used an AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4 ED VR, using f/32 for the last two. Would that have been with a close-up lens? (Do I see a small amount of vignetting from a close-up lens in the bottom corners of the second, uncropped, image?) If you were using a close-up lens(es), I wonder what you used for the first one, as you got very close in with that one? And/or perhaps it was a rather substantial crop?

The flash looks to be producing nice illumination. Would you care to share some info about your flash setup?

Diffraction softens images a lot with small apertures. Have you done anything particular with the processing to mitigate that? (The reason I ask is that I use minimum aperture most of the time for invertebrates and I use some quite aggressive sharpening.)

I see you have some dust on your sensor - that of course is one of the problems with using very small apertures; dust shows up all too well. :(

I use a Raynox DCR 150, or DCR250 attached to my 70-200 for most of my 'macro', as I find it gives acceptable images within a sensible budget. - I'd love a dedicated Nikon 200 Micro, but at over £1000, that's going to have to wait a while!

I use a cheap (£25.00) Marumi Ringflash at the moment, which has surprised me with the quality of light.

I don't use Photoshop, or Lightroom, as I can't justify the annual charges and at my age, I can't be bothered to take a degree on how to use them! - I do use the Nikon NX-i software that came with the camera, but only for basic adjustments.

I only got back into photography a couple of years ago and enjoy it enourmously, but my images are only really for my own enjoyment and for anyone who enjoys my weekly blogs. I only shoot 'live'subjects, so all the shots are 'hand-held'.

To be honest, I have been a bit scared of cleaning the sensor, in case I do something wrong, but I am going to be having a go this week............it can't be that difficult!

Here is an image of my set-up:

IMG_5429.JPG

Back