A few springtails from today

Name
Alf
Edit My Images
Yes
the last one

Collembola-7 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

All taken with my Olympus OMD E-M1 with a sigma 105 f2.8 a 25mm tube and Raynox 250. Niisin flah Di 466 with homemade diffuser.

Excellent Alf!

As to the kit (which I'm rather interested in given I've now got a G80 and I have a Sigma 105 that I've never really made any use of yet), lots of questions please.

Are you using MFT extension tube then converter, or converter then EF extension tubes?

What make of converter do you use?

You used manual focus presumably?

How much did you have to crop? With 26mm MFT extension tubes behind the Olympus 60mm macro with Raynox 250 I get a scene width of about 7mm at a working distance of about 30mm. That seems a bit wide for the globular springtails - hence my question about cropping.

I'm surprised you could use ISO 200 at that magnification with the Di466, which appears to have a guide number of 33. If the flash is on auto (do you get TTL with that setup?) you probably wouldn't know how much power is being used, but presumably it is running at full power?

First the kit. It is a 4/3 sigma on Olympys EX-25 tube at 25mm and an Olympys MMF-3 adapter I got a second EX-25 but due to electronics and firmaware I cannot use 2 together which I annoyed at.
I have some m4/3 tubes but they are not as strong.

Focus is manual bt more a matter of movng the camera into position as the the lens is set to 1:1 all the time.

The flash is set in manual and set at between half and full depending on the nature of the surface the springtails are on. I can get it to work in TTL but it uses a pre flash and slows things down and with some moths scares them out of the shot. I do wonder about a more powerful flash.

I use the 60mm too like that but also on 52mm of tubes without the raynox.

These are all cropped

Magnification test shot taken with
My Olympus OMD E-M1 with 3 m4/3 Kooka tubes (52mm) a MMF3 adapterand Sigma 105 f 2.8 lens and Raynox M-250

105-mag-test-tubes&R by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Here is the 105 plus a Raynox

Mag test Sigma 105 plus Raynox by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
First the kit. It is a 4/3 sigma on Olympys EX-25 tube at 25mm and an Olympys MMF-3 adapter I got a second EX-25 but due to electronics and firmaware I cannot use 2 together which I annoyed at.
I have some m4/3 tubes but they are not as strong.

Focus is manual bt more a matter of movng the camera into position as the the lens is set to 1:1 all the time.

The flash is set in manual and set at between half and full depending on the nature of the surface the springtails are on. I can get it to work in TTL but it uses a pre flash and slows things down and with some moths scares them out of the shot. I do wonder about a more powerful flash.

I use the 60mm too like that but also on 52mm of tubes without the raynox.

These are all cropped

Thanks for the information and test shots Alf. That is very helpful.

Looks like its Globby time again, you do like your Safari`s though, all nice shots with No 1 my Fav.

Looks like its Globby time again, you do like your Safari`s though, all nice shots with No 1 my Fav.

Thanks Graham.

Safari is:
An expedition to observe or hunt animals in their natural habitat

Here is an uncropped version

Collembola uncropped by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Here is a test shot with the set up used

Sigma 105 EX-25 and Ranox 250 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Thanks Alf, both very helpful to see. So a significant but not huge crop. The test shot is very interesting - not a hint of CA and perfectly rectilinear. Not at all like I'm seeing with my close-up lens on zoom arrangements. (Those are millimetre markings presumably?) I've been doing some ruler shots myself recently, which is why I'm so impressed.

Thanks Alf, both very helpful to see. So a significant but not huge crop. The test shot is very interesting - not a hint of CA and perfectly rectilinear. Not at all like I'm seeing with my close-up lens on zoom arrangements. (Those are millimetre markings presumably?) I've been doing some ruler shots myself recently, which is why I'm so impressed.
Yeah those are mm and its handheld

Back