A question of focus

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm doing a part time photography course at college, and this weeks topic was depth of field and the 'homework' was to take three photos of an arrangement of three items using a shallow dof focusing on each one in turn.

A question of focus
by Chris Stephens, on Flickr

1/200" f/5.0 ISO 200 135mm​

The idea evolved over several days, I wanted the items to be somehow related and one thing led to another. My original idea involved some cheese, a mouse and a cat, but didn't think I could get the mouse to sit still long enough. Fortunately, for the mouse, we had a bottle of vodka in the freezer. Since I only had one slab of ice, I set up before hand and took loads of test shots to check I could get it framed and lit to get the result I imagined. I could only make a slab of ice 40cm square so that set the limit for spacing things out, although looking at it now I could probably have rotated things around a bit and got more separation. I also thought about freezing slices of lime into the ice, but had already frozen the slab by this time and have run out of time to do another. The ice is sat on a bed sheet that is sat on top of an inverted fish tank sat on my workmate with a 400w lamp underneath. As well as diffusing the light, the sheet also served to to help stop the ice sliding around. The lamps to the side didn't really need diffusing but I think the flash could have done with a bit as you can spot it in the glass. I needed the flash to light the lime.

All comments welcome.

Makings of 'A question of focus'

Last edited:
Back