In Memoriam. TPer Emeritus
Admin
Name
The real Chris
Edit My Images
No
But with a slight redemption.

As the days are shortening / getting dull, I dug out the Canon MR14-EX
Try as I might, it would turn on but not fire up, I tried everything. I guess its reached the end of its life.
Things aren't built to last these days, its only 15 maybe 20 years old :(
As a replacement is a scary £600 + I thought I'd have a look to see what the options were.
I found a Neewer LED one on Amazon, in a warehouse deal as "used"
And apparently they fit a wide range of cameras and lens with several adapter rings thrown in.
I must admit to being skeptical but at 20 quid I thought it was worth the punt.

Well blow me, yep it fitted and yep there was a adapter ring that fitted the 100 mm is L lens.
And I'm sure it wasn't used, just a slight dent / crease in one corner of the retail box

It's never be as good as the 14-ex, but a quick test and it does look promising.

s2.jpg

I had one for a while (not that brand) it makes a good alternative when no other options are available. It certainly works here for you.

Paul.
Cheers Paul (y)
I do need to research if the canon one is repairable though otherwise its a very expensive door stop

Sadly I'm not as rich as you Roger and can't justify £600 + on a flash :(
I know the feeling Chris ... in fact it looks as though GAS is going to have a whole new impact on all of us in the very near future! :eek:

Sadly I'm not as rich as you Roger and can't justify £600 + on a flash :(
I want to know how Canon can justify it be honest. Considering the threat to their businesses from other cameras they should offer better value for money.

I want to know how Canon can justify it be honest. Considering the threat to their businesses from other cameras they should offer better value for money.
I completely agree Dave.
Plus now of course there are decent 3rd party options available, at less than half the price.

Back