A Wasp Doing Something Strange...

Name
Geoff
Edit My Images
Yes
I got pointed out this by some passersby as I was taking the images of a Green Orb Weaver Spider - infact I stopped taking shots of it and went to see what was going on...

It's a wasp, but there's clearly an extra wing from something smaller, it was difficult to see as there was lots of movement from the wasp but it looked like that wasp had hold of another flying insect - I had the camera on continous shooting and it wasn't there 3 shots later..

wasp-7433.jpg

wasp-7436.jpg

Any ideas??? It's got me baffled...

The angle was an issue I have hoped to catch this when I see them prowling round.

Thanks Alby, that's what it looked like to me, but I didn't think wasps ate other flies....

Thanks Alf, yes it was a difficult angle and didn't last long so all I manged were 5 shots, the first 2 wer e OOF, only the 3rd showed that it had hold of something.. I was just wondering if there were flies that laid parasites on wasps....

Thanks Alby, that's what it looked like to me, but I didn't think wasps ate other flies....
Yes they eat insects and even other Hymenoptera, They are also like fruit, ice cream and lollies of course.

I've just been Googling this and it seems they do eat other flies, well I never, that's a bit of a surprise....

Back