A whole host of critters...

Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
There were loads of things in the garden today, so here're a few of them.

The green orb spider continues to grow, but was in what appeared to be a standoff with some sort of wasp today (I'll upload the picture I got of the pair of them at the bottom of the thread, although the quality isn't the best as they were both darting hither and thither at the time). I hope the spider survived (the wasp was nowhere to be seen when I left) - I've been watching it grow from a young-un and want to see it reach maturity.

170/366 2016 - Shield Bug
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Shield Bug 180616

Aphid 180616

Fly 180616-3

Fly 180616

Fly 180616-2

Bluebottle 180616

Bluebottle 180616-2

Last edited:
Great variety. Nice set, but a lot of them look rather murky to me even though the histogram is nicely filled; it has to do with the distribution of light. It's a matter of personal taste of course. I would illustrate what I mean, but you have Edit my images as No.

I'm always willing to learn a trick or two Nick, so please feel free to demonstrate. Thanks. :)

A nice set there, on phone at the moment so can't see as a monitor can show me.
Some wasps are spiders chasers / killer. Google it.

I'm always willing to learn a trick or two Nick, so please feel free to demonstrate. Thanks. :)

It is very much a matter of personal taste as to what to do with our images and how much of it to do, what to trade off against what else etc. With that said, and FWIW, here different versions of three of the images. Not sure I'm fully comfortable with any of them, but hopefully it will illustrate a direction the images might (or might not!) be taken in.

(You should see these flip between the posted version and the alternative edit.)

NOT MY IMAGE = Fishyfish bluebottle edit comparison
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

NOT MY IMAGE = Fishyfish fly2 edit comparison

NOT MY IMAGE = Fishyfish spider edit comparison

It is very much a matter of personal taste as to what to do with our images and how much of it to do, what to trade off against what else etc. With that said, and FWIW, here different versions of three of the images. Not sure I'm fully comfortable with any of them, but hopefully it will illustrate a direction the images might (or might not!) be taken in.

Thanks. I think I prefer my version of the spider shot, but I like the additional detail you've pulled out on the flies. What processing did you use if you don't mind my asking please?

Thanks. I think I prefer my version of the spider shot, but I like the additional detail you've pulled out on the flies. What processing did you use if you don't mind my asking please?

For these versions I used DXO Optics Pro and then Silkypix, but before that I did versions using just Silkypix and got very similar results so I'll describe what I did with that as it is much more straightforward to describe.

I pulled up the shadows a lot and pulled down the highlights a lot. This tends to make images take on a flat, low contrast look, like an HDR image which hasn't been tonemapped. I pulled down the blacks a bit to try to counteract that. It didn't work too well with the spider image, which retained a very flat look. I thought the fly images were better in this respect, but still a bit iffy. That was the aspect of the images I was referring to with my "Not sure I'm fully comfortable with any of them" comment.

I sharpened the images.

I don't know how much of the additional detail was a result of the sharpening and how much was a result of the tonal adjustments.

Back