Advice on dealing with boring sky

Name
Dom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I've recently come back from Kenya and got some half decent pics that I'm fairly happy with, but struggling with the PP.

I'm using Lightroom Classic and some people have been giving me a hand with another photo, but this one has a pretty boring sky. I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do to make it more interesting or if I just have to deal with it. Any other advice on the PP I've done gratefully received as well.

Original:Elephants2.jpg

After PP:Elephants1.jpg

There's 2 fixes for a boring sky, and one of them involves taking the picture again when the sky is better.

There's plenty of software around that claims to be able to swap* a dull sky for an exciting one, but one needs to keep the image 'truthful'. There's lots of videos on YouTube.

A third option is black and white, but that's not going to help these much.

*I'm not averse to swapping a sky VERY OCCASIONALLY but it's difficult to do well and I always feel the need to confess when I have done it.

Last edited:
There's 2 fixes for a boring sky, and one of them involves taking the picture again when the sky is better.

There's lots of software around that claims to be able to swap a dull sky for an exciting one, but one needs to keep the image 'truthful'. There's lots of videos on YouTube.

A third option is black and white, but that's not going to help these much.
Haha, maybe I use that as the excuse to go back again!

Know what you mean , we also went to the Mara it’s an amazing place but you sometimes you can only shoot what’s in front of you , I tried when the sky was like that to frame the shots when I could with less sky in
The best time for game drives is early on or evening, even after sunset can be good

Forgot to say nice shot , I also struggle with PP sometimes but I would brighten it a bit and add some contrast

Know what you mean , we also went to the Mara it’s an amazing place but you sometimes you can only shoot what’s in front of you , I tried when the sky was like that to frame the shots when I could with less sky in
The best time for game drives is early on or evening, even after sunset can be good
That one was just before sunset. The one of the tree in my other thread was about 20 minutes later.

There's a big dust mark on your sensor - or something - sky top RH

aren't elephants predominantly grey?

Last edited:
Agree with Bill although Steve’s edits do look spot on Elephants are more grey in colour but can be brownish if they have been in mud
It difficult to get right and one I struggle to get right as well , probably going to redo mine for the third time

There's a big dust mark on your sensor - or something - sky top RH

Yeh, I’ve fixed it on the one I’m messing around with.

You think I’ve overdone it and changed the colours too much? Again, the 2 photos I’ve shared, the top one is completely unedited. It was taken in the evening as they’re lit up by the setting sun which may have affected the colours?

In photoshop you can replace the sky with a number of options

TP_elephants_PS.jpg

If you want to go a bit colourful maybe this - but the original image, particularly the sky is "weak" in content - I see it's ISO 800 and f/7.1 - is that correct plus is it a big crop?

I don't like the bird - I'd take it out of the image, IMHO it distracts

The image will brighten up a bit - Kevin is the PS expert

but it's easy to process images like this "to death" and you alter one thing and create a problem somewhere else in the image - I don't really like any of them - maybe the best course is just to get the WB correct on your original image - plus black and white levels and shadows

TP_Elephants_PS_2.jpg

Last edited:
If you want to go a bit colourful maybe this - but the original image, particularly the sky is "weak" in content - I see it's ISO 800 and f/7.1 - is that correct plus is it a big crop?

I don't like the bird - I'd take it out of the image, IMHO it distracts

The image will brighten up a bit - Kevin is the PS expert

but it's easy to process images like this "to death" and you alter one thing and create a problem somewhere else in the image - I don't really like any of them - maybe the best course is just to get the WB correct on your original image - plus black and white levels and shadows

TP_Elephants_PS_2.jpg

That's horrible.......

There is the obvious, visit at the time of year that will provide you with more interesting skies! Any time during the dry season, you are going to struggle with good light and the atmospheric dust will always produce the overcast looking skies.

Dropping in skies becomes a challenge, as you need to match the vegetation colour/seasonality with the sky.

I would tend to edit more in PS, where use of luminosity masks provide the ability to edit in finer details around the mid-tone contrasts. This does allow you to extract more of the detail in a more subtle manner. It also allows you to get that golden light look with pushing the image too hard with sliders and also moving the white balance too high.

In my experience, it looks likes the adjustment of the global white balance is turning your sky more grey. I appreciate that you are new to digital editing, though I see 3 different white balance zones across the image. Camera's really struggle in African animalscape type images.

1. The sky would benefit from a selection and a cooler WB. Adjust it to give a slight bluish look, that would provide colour contrast against the vegetation/grey elephant.

2. I would not warm the dry grasses behind the elephants, I think the colour balance works well in the original image. It is starting to look a little fake.

3. I would add a touch of warmth to elephant and greens in the foreground, where your focus is.

You are also blowing out the whites on the cattle egret with your editing. I appreciate it adds to the scene, though you need to watch out for this.

In scenes like these, I have resorted to using linear profiles for each of my cameras. This is maybe slightly more advanced, though the tone curve in lightroom will push certain colours and raise the brightness of a RAW file. It allows you to build an image more subtly, that may otherwise appear lost.

In terms of camera techs, it looks like you have used a focal range between 100-200mm. You can also get away with shooting closer to F4 at those focal lengths and still having subject focus. This would have given more BOKEH to assist with the background.

A depth mask and background blur would reduce the prominence of the background and sky.

Last edited:
I couldn't readily find a suitable sky to composite with this image, but that would be easy if you could...

Just a natural edit... a curves layer to set the colors and pull the sky a little, and a levels adjustment to set the white point/ black point/gamma (masked off of the sky).

Untitled-1.jpg

I couldn't readily find a suitable sky to composite with this image, but that would be easy if you could...

Just a natural edit... a curves layer to set the colors and pull the sky a little, and a levels adjustment to set the white point/ black point/gamma (masked off of the sky).

View attachment 433033

I'm not sitting at my computer, though this looks a good reference point, though I would look to change the blue tone in the sky to soften it a touch.

You could probably extract a touch more golden light by pushing a mid-tones luminosity mask. Though it's the cleanest and most realistic in terms of colour. The others push the white balance too far.

Last edited:
I'd just crop out the majority of the sky

View attachment 433034

Regardless of the sky, a very nice wildlife family portrait :)

That’s probably what I’d do, but the subjects need a bit of room to breath, so would increase the canvas size a bit and use generative fill or similar to fill it in.

Or just crop with a different aspect ratio.

Last edited:
I'd just crop out the majority of the sky

View attachment 433034

Regardless of the sky, a very nice wildlife family portrait :)
I did try that, but like someone else said, it lacks the room the breath. I know it’s not the perfect picture by any stretch, but I think it’s such a lovely moment with the family, the little one is so cute feeding from its mum.

I’m certainly not a pro, so just trying to get it as good as I can so I can have it framed

There is the obvious, visit at the time of year that will provide you with more interesting skies! Any time during the dry season, you are going to struggle with good light and the atmospheric dust will always produce the overcast looking skies.

Dropping in skies becomes a challenge, as you need to match the vegetation colour/seasonality with the sky.

I would tend to edit more in PS, where use of luminosity masks provide the ability to edit in finer details around the mid-tone contrasts. This does allow you to extract more of the detail in a more subtle manner. It also allows you to get that golden light look with pushing the image too hard with sliders and also moving the white balance too high.

In my experience, it looks likes the adjustment of the global white balance is turning your sky more grey. I appreciate that you are new to digital editing, though I see 3 different white balance zones across the image. Camera's really struggle in African animalscape type images.

1. The sky would benefit from a selection and a cooler WB. Adjust it to give a slight bluish look, that would provide colour contrast against the vegetation/grey elephant.

2. I would not warm the dry grasses behind the elephants, I think the colour balance works well in the original image. It is starting to look a little fake.

3. I would add a touch of warmth to elephant and greens in the foreground, where your focus is.

You are also blowing out the whites on the cattle egret with your editing. I appreciate it adds to the scene, though you need to watch out for this.

In scenes like these, I have resorted to using linear profiles for each of my cameras. This is maybe slightly more advanced, though the tone curve in lightroom will push certain colours and raise the brightness of a RAW file. It allows you to build an image more subtly, that may otherwise appear lost.

In terms of camera techs, it looks like you have used a focal range between 100-200mm. You can also get away with shooting closer to F4 at those focal lengths and still having subject focus. This would have given more BOKEH to assist with the background.

A depth mask and background blur would reduce the prominence of the background and sky.
Thanks for all the advice. I fear it may be slightly beyond my technical ability, but I’ll give it a go and watch some YT videos on luminosity masks

I did try that, but like someone else said, it lacks the room the breath. I know it’s not the perfect picture by any stretch, but I think it’s such a lovely moment with the family, the little one is so cute feeding from its mum.

I’m certainly not a pro, so just trying to get it as good as I can so I can have it framed
As other suggested just try a different aspect ratio :)
Actually quite like the wider aspect ratio...
1000017481.jpg

I've rarely seen so many well-meaning acts of desperation as in most of the proffered adjustments above. The first key is to recover or at least retain any available highlight detail in the egret, which remains an awkward accent in the overall composition - but it was there, & an honest part of the ecology of place, so do the best available with it. As a last resort, clone it out. The sky is fine - it is what it was, & isn't at all crucial. Just twiddle with the fore & near middle ground as you see fit, in terms of colour temp & tonal range. A light touch is beneficial. Hopefully everyone will calm down soon, instead of spiralling off into bizarre & non-productive regions of the universe.

A clean one in the mid day sun :)

Central African soil is nearly always red (and get everywhere), and early morning sun is usually quite reddish, as is the dry season grass.

The same scene at mid day will be a lot bluer, so it really depends on how you remember it.
I remember similar scenes with the elephants glowing in the low early morning sun, before the air starts heating up. (I lived in Zambia, not Kenya, but very similar)

In reply to how, same as most others, selected/masked the area below the horizon and adjusted that, roughly done as just showing the direction of my thinking rather than providing an ideal edit.

This is something that I suffer from and one option is to if possible exclude the sky but you couldn't have done that with this shot and even when you can you'll still at times be left with uninspiring light and a lack of colour and contrast. I'd still prefer a lack of umph to the well meaning alternatives posted above as they just look to false to me.

My effort.

1-Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sitting at my computer, though this looks a good reference point, though I would look to change the blue tone in the sky to soften it a touch.

You could probably extract a touch more golden light by pushing a mid-tones luminosity mask. Though it's the cleanest and most realistic in terms of colour. The others push the white balance too far.
Looking at it here against a white BG the sky does seem a little dark/heavy (I normally edit against a grey BG).

Sunset's are not always terribly warm if the atmosphere/air is rather clear... I am guessing that was the case here; although setting the WP/BP to true will remove any heavy color cast.

That's a complete no-no. Look at the shadows!
That's what I was talking about... finding a sky that is suitable is pretty difficult. This is about the best I could do to match the lighting/tones/saturation/perspective with an available creative commons image.

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back