Advice on first film purchase - b+w

Edit My Images
No
I have just purchased an EOS 10 from Galaxy66 which should be arriving today... my hands are getting itchy :)

I know next to nothing about film (except that I know I need 35mm :p ) so I'd appreciate any help on buying. I want to start on b+w for now, so would something like the Ilford FP4 125 be good? Would I get a good grain with that?

Also, should I stick a filter on my lens if I'm doing black and white?:shrug:

Cheers,

Matt

FP4 and HP5 are the two most popular films out there and have been for decades.

Personally, I'd rather use just about anything else as I like neither. For me they are just a little too generic and I'd rather explore the other options. T-max from Kodak, Delta from Ilford or Neopan by Fuji.

I agree with Darren, I really don't like Ilford. I've only ever used Neopan and Kodak colour film.

I'll be experimenting with the different Neopans on offer before I go to New York, because my intentions are to predominantly shoot film.

Personally I'd recommend Illford Delta Pro, I tend to use it in Iso 400 and Iso 3200 flavours, but the 100 is good too.

Personally I'd recommend Illford Delta Pro, I tend to use it in Iso 400 and Iso 3200 flavours, but the 100 is good too.

2nd this.

I'm more of an Ilford man. I've used Delta 100 which is very good. I pushed it to 200, still looked very.

This is some HP5+ that I used a while ago

2592538781_5f26bea132.jpg

Flickr

T-max 100 has treated me very well for years. They recently rebranded to "professional," but I don't think the formula has changed. Be prepared though, some B&W can't be processed at your local 1-hour, you may need a dev tank and chemicals.

I'm in pretty much the same boat having just aquired an EOS 300 I'm currently running through a cheapy colour role that I got with it just to check it works ok I'm then looking at some black and white for experimenting. I'm leaning towards Fuji Neopan 400 CN http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/film/films/blackwhite_neopan400cn.html as it can be processed at the local one hour place saving me money and delays while I'm learning then I think i'll move into the more exotic realms.

T-max 100 has treated me very well for years. They recently rebranded to "professional," but I don't think the formula has changed. Be prepared though, some B&W can't be processed at your local 1-hour, you may need a dev tank and chemicals.

I was actually planning to do some dev myself, I used to do chromatography so I shouldn't find it too hard.

Thanks for the replies, I'm still clueless as to filters though :thinking:

Jumping the thread a bit, I've still got a roll of B&W that I need to get developed (if it's still alive, it's several years old!) - can anyone point me in the direction of a half decent but not expensive processor? I haven't a clue where to start and don't want to go down the diy route for one roll...

if you are after grain try neopan 1600 and push it a stop

i'd get three rolls of each different type of film so one roll of colour neg ,slide and B+W.I don't know why everyone is neglecting slide film? I guess its because its so unforgiving when you underexpose but if you're meter is working correctly you should be fine!

I'd recommend.

Provia 400x-slide
Superia x-tra-colour neg
Ilford HP5+-B+W

I can bet you'll like slide the most :) well I did anyway :p

use http://www.7dayshop.com to order as they're very cheap!

I'm in pretty much the same boat having just aquired an EOS 300 I'm currently running through a cheapy colour role that I got with it just to check it works ok I'm then looking at some black and white for experimenting. I'm leaning towards Fuji Neopan 400 CN http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/film/films/blackwhite_neopan400cn.html as it can be processed at the local one hour place saving me money and delays while I'm learning then I think i'll move into the more exotic realms.

Whilst high street processors can develop these films using the normal colour C-41 process you can get tinted results as the chemicals, papers and inks used are for colour, and not true B&W products. Some are Ok, some give a pink cast.

Back