Advice on learning Photography

Name
Ujjwal
Edit My Images
No
Hi

I am looking for some advice on an effective way to learn photography

First off; about me. I have been tinkering with cameras for some time now; and my interest is in film photography ( Digital; especially manipulation on a computer do not interest me at all; and developing is not my primary interest right now). I have a read quite a few books over time; and my primary interests have been on the technical side of the camera ( so I understand the basics of the exposure vs aperture, DOF, film type, lens type, rules of composition etc etc). At present I mostly use RF : a Contax G1 and a Leica CL. Sometimes a Contax SLR. I usually use Colour Fuji or Kodak film ( 200 / 400 ASA) and get the D&P with hand assessment in Jessops.

I am mostly interested in Landscape and Portrait ( not wildlife, marriage sports ). I would also like to learn B/W photography.

In my judgement, some of my photos are absolute rubbish, many are average; and some good. But I dont know how and why the good ones turn out to be good ( i.e my ability is not replicable)

I was browsing through photos posted here and the Leica forum; and there are some very beautiful photographs ( the composition, lighting etc). I think some here and many in the Leica forum are not digitally maniputaled or enhanced; they are as they have come out of the camera. I have never been able to come anywhere close to them; especially in terms of lighting and exposure.

So I would like to learn a bit more of the craft of film phtography. I know there are quite a few courses; but I dont have the time to attend courses. I however have a lot of time to self study; and practise. I would be helped ( I think) by some suggestions, criticism; and nudge in the right direction from a professional.

So I was wondering :

1. What are the very good books on photography ( funds to buy the books not a problem). I have looked in the shelves in waterstone; and most books are either about digitial ( how to photoshop better) or some very generic, beginners guide. I thinki I would like to have some advanced material.

2. Are there any long distance courses on photography ( and are they any good /useful)

3. Is there a structured course work which I can self study by buying the material and following the instructions.

3. Is there any specific advice for someone like me.

I know there are many experts photographers here; and many of you love film photography; so any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Ujjwal

hi there Ujjwal!

I am afraid that I can't help you out with all your queries (dunno anything about courses other than I did an A-level in photography!) or books! (I have 2 technical ones- one from the 50s "A basic guide to photography" ITS 3 INCHES THICK! NO IMAGES! and a more up-to date thing which tries to explain extremly advanced stuff to a slightly dumber reader, dunno the name though, the cover was ripped off!

-though I have heard of long-distance/ stay at home/online courses in photography on here. they are listed around this site.

BUT! Good on ya! Film is in my opinion better than digi. I have only used B+W, and I love it! -you have to "learn" how to read a potential image, and how it will look like in monochrome. its a much better way to get into photography then digital, you learn to be sparing with picture taking and value the image you are taking more (something I really find saddening about digital, I find some really good shots of mine are rather soul-less:(

But for advice, get out there! you seem to be an expert technically (though you will always learn more!) have a go at everything, vary your work, then find the things you really enjoy the most!

also, don't be too harsh when judging yourself (only depression comes from that!) one mans rubbish is another mans art (well, in the strange land of the art world anyway...) post some up here, many will be happy to give critique and tips! its practice that helps.

as to how images are edited, even many film ones can be altered etc without you noticing. even if you get prints made directly from film, alot of stuff can be going on in the dark room! -Almost all the stuff you can do on photoshop used/still is being done in darkrooms, although with alot more cancerous chemicals, and there where togs who spent hours, even days or weeks in the search of the perfect print (look at W. Eugene Smith, spent the day photographing pittsburgh, and spent the night on uppers (aka speed) printing them. then repeat!)

Its just a case of practice, experience, and developing your own style! have fun! Many of the old "classic" photographers were self-taught, developing their own techniques and styles. Depending on the course you are more likley to learn about said styles and how to critique them/photos etc... all very helpfull and I would love to go on one, but others think you should let yourself do the exploring without the aid of a classroom or a lesson-plan!

also, out of interest, how much of a "beginner" are you? you seem to have jumped into the deep end getting a contax and a leica! nice gear though *drools*!:D

Do you keep notes about the photos you have taken? It's very difficult to learn empirically if you cannot remember the reason why or the settings you used or the conditions under which you took a shot you deem to be successful.

I think that processing your own film and either scanning or wet printing would be a major benefit to you if you are not doing so already. You will be in control of the whole process so you will be able to match your visualization to the final image more easily. If you take our the final step then it becomes somebody elses thing to a degree.

Have a read of Adams the negative and the print. Might help a bit.

As for learning, peer review works well, part of the reason talk photography is so popular! Or you could look at an open university degree. Finding someone to shoot with as a mentor will probably do more good than most forms of education though!

Hth?

I don't think you can fast-track the learning process by reading books. At least, it didn't work for me :p There's no substitute for experience, and you'll learn more by taking copious notes of things like exposure, time of day, type of lighting etc. A lot of that is done for you with digital (EXIF information) which makes it a good way of learning as long as you're prepared to pick through the information to work out what works and what doesn't.

Join your local library, pick up books from the great photographers. Costs nothing.

If you already know the basic technicalities, you will learn huge amounts from these books.

Unless you are lucky enough to live close to a major library, do not be surprised that there is not a great deal on display, but the library will be able to borrow from an immense collection across your region - they can give you access to a catalogue which is probably on-line.

It does not really matter about any specific title, I usually browse my local libraries on-line catalogue at home once every few weeks with a cup of tea, order a book that takes my fancy, then I get a call from the library a week later to say I can come a collect. At the moment I am reading a picture book by Bill Brandt, really interesting.

My other advice for low cost learning is to join your local camera club.

Back