Advice on upgrade from Portaflash system

Name
Gillian
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been using Portaflash 336VM heads for 4 years now and apart from the odd misfire and replacement head, I have been very pleased with the set up. It has been a useful way to learn studio work. However, on location the venues are large and I have plenty of space to set up with reasonable distance from subjects to backdrop and find that the Portaflash is not powerful enough for what is required especially blowing out the backdrop evenly.

I have read on a couple of forums that slate both Portaflash and Interfit in favour of Elinchrom and Bowens.

Can anyone give me an idea of how I go about choosing a complete new set up with a reliable brand that won't bust the budget. To start with, I need 4 flash heads with modelling lamps, 2 soft boxes, 2 umbrellas and radio triggers.

A big ask I know, but I need a starting off point. How did you choose your set up and were you able to go to a retailer for a test with your camera etc? If so, who were they and where are they based. I am in Mid Wales and there is nowhere around here to go.

Thanks Gillian

The Portaflash is basically a manual hotshoe flash which runs off the mains and just about anything will be a massive upgrade.

Elinchrom and Bowens both make good equipment, but you'll be paying over the odds for the name with Bowens and over the odds for the accessories with Elinchrom - and it's the accessories that are important.

I recommend Lencarta - I'm their techie - which are very similar to Bowens but at much more attractive prices. A lot of suppliers, including Lencarta, don't sell through retailers because doing so would make their equipment much more expensive. Instead, you buy direct from the website and simply return the goods for full credit if you're not happy with them. The law gives you 7 days, Lencarta gives you 30 days so it's a good way of doing things.

Can anyone give me an idea of how I go about choosing a complete new set up with a reliable brand that won't bust the budget. To start with, I need 4 flash heads with modelling lamps, 2 soft boxes, 2 umbrellas and radio triggers.

This implies that you've already decided exactly how you're going to arrange your lights. Studio lighting is about much more than quantity and set arrangements, it's about creativity and knowledge and although that kind of arrangement may work for event photography-style shots you'll want different light shaping tools as your experience and knowledge grow.

The various free guides on my website under 'More free downloads' may help. The one on how to choose studio lighting is also available online here

Thanks Garry for the information and links. Very informative. The reason I mentioned the requirements is that when I do event photography, it is usually family groups upto about 10 people sometimes. I need 2 background lights to be able to blow out the White backdrop evenly. At the moment, I find the depth of the softboxes a bit too deep and will look to replace them with narrower ones.

I was impressed with the link regarding the Lencarta products. I will certainly bear them in mind when I am in a position to upgrade (couple of weeks).

I have been working with 100Joules with the Portaflash heads - and wondering if the 300Joules will be just about right for my requirements. Of course, when I use my studio at home, I am much more flexible with the way I light my subjects and background colours.

Thanks again

Gillian

Gillian,

FWIW a certain retailer who shall not be named has a track record of selling lights with model numbers that indicate a different power to that written on the capacitors inside them - I think you'll find that the actual output is 40 Joules, giving an output roughly equiv to 60 Joules because of the mirror-like finish of the built in reflector.

300J for your purpose should be fine. What you need to look at is the guide number, which in the case of the Lencarta is 162 with the standard reflector, or f/16 @ 10'.
Call that f/8 @ 10' with a softbox fitted and you should still have enough power at 100 ISO. If push comes to shove you can 'double' the effective power by changing to 200 ISO.

The biggest improvement you'll see is in the consistency of the power output and the consistency of the colour temperature

Over the years I have had Bowens, Elinchroms, Jessops Powerflash and some cheap Chinese jobbies, I currently have 3x Elinchroms 400 BX heads and a couple of Lencarta Portable (Battery operated) Safari Heads. I tend to use the Safari Heads in preference to the Elinchroms unless I need to use more than two heads.

I also have the Safari ringflash which also works with the powerpack.

I have been very impressed with both the build quality of the Lencarta products (there goods are almost on a par with my Elinchrom stuff, but at a much cheaper price) and more so, the product support through Gary Edwards. They do have a couple of issues to address, which is being sorted out. The main one for me is the lack of documentation which is supplied with the products, although most is available online through the Lencarta website, and as you can only currently buy from the website you could if you wish, download the appropriate documentation prior to its arrival.

I have no vested interest in Lencarta other than as a very satisfied customer and a believer that we should support those companies who support us!

Both the technical and product support currently provided through Gary is better than that offered by the majority of companies, (how many other flash head suppliers have a professional photographer as their technical expert who will allow you to visit their studio (at a convenient time) and play with their products and who has also given out his personal telephone number and made himself available to answer queries?). But the main draw for Lencarta equipment is their 30 day money back guarantee which makes a trial a no brainer to me. You order, you trial, you like, you keep, or, you order, you trial, you don't like, you return for a full refund (only cost to you is the cost of return shipping which is considerably less than the cost to have hired the kit for a shoot would have been).

Should I ever consider changing my Elinchrom kit (and it has crossed my mind) I will be replacing them with Lencarta equipment, and if you do decide to have a trial (apart from the cost of a round of drinks) I doubt you will be disappointed, and the Bowens S fit (which Lencarta use) has a wide range of accessories available for it from various manufacturers.

Thank you to Garry and Ed for the personal account of the Lencarta lights.

I will be looking to change the system with little disruption to what I have available to me at the moment. Would you possibly know if the Portaflash stands have the same fittings as Lencarta, or would I need to buy all new stands and brolly brackets etc. Would the Portaflash softboxes fit the Lencarta 300 heads or would I need to replace everything. In an ideal world, I would be changing everything over at the same time, but budget dictates until I am happy with new set up and then I will sell all the Portaflash kit.

Perhaps I need to see a typical set up.

Thanks again

Gillian

Gillian,

From memory the Portaflash heads have a 1/4" whitworth thread, the Lencarta and all other lights bolt on to a 16mm spigot. I think that you can probably get an adapter (probably from Speed Graphic) but personally I wouldn't advise fitting a 2.5kg head on to a Portaflash stand. The Lencarta takes standard umbrellas (all makes except Elinchrom do) so you could use any umbrellas you already have. But not softboxes, which again with Portaflash are non-standard clamp on ones.

Like most manufacturers, Lencarta offers kit options which are considerably cheaper than the cost of buying the various items separately, so in effect the stands (at least) will be free.

Thanks Garry. Point taken about the stands. I am still re-reading all the pros & cons of the 3 brands (Bowen, Elinchrom & Lencarta) and will ponder a bit more. I have always been one for spending hard earned cash on great glass for my cameras and don't won't to be bogged down with expensive branded lights if there is a suitable and cheaper alternative out there that will serve me the same. Not too bothered about the negative press I have read about the Lencarta 2nd hand value, because if it suits me I will keep hold of it.

Thanks

Well, the only negative press I've seem about the Lencarta's 2nd hand value was a forum posting from someone who, if I recall, was trying to persuade someone to buy another brand of lights from him, so form your own opinion about that. And that was on a forum which 'discourages' any positive posts about anything that isn't advertised on their site. I think that most sites would have deleted that post, but there you go...

A bit like the experience of a well known brand in the USA, which is constantly talked down by retailers who can't sell it themselves because the brand is only sold direct, like Lencarta.

I'm not trying to persuade you to buy Lencarta. As things stand at the moment, the demand for them is greater than the supply. New stock is due in about a week or so and a lot of that has been pre-sold...

Thought I would update you on my decision to upgrade my studio lights etc.

After much research and conversations about the different brands of lights v prices, I made the decision to go with Lencarta. Before ordering, I knew there would be a 2-week wait for the next delivery to arrive at Heathrow. A contact within the company kept me informed of order progress and sure enough, everything arrived well before my portrait event on 16th May. A couple of the lights had to be replaced as one arrived with a broken photo-cell and the other light wouldn't work as a slave. Both lights were replaced the next day and in time for me practice before the shoot.

The heads have a useful handle on the back for lifting on and off the stands which is a good idea, and the construction of them is solid and robust looking. Nothing about these products is cheap and nasty. I know I have only had them a short while, but photographing 13 families in different cominations last week gave them a good run in.

I purchased the Following:-
4x Lencarta 300 compact heads (2 with standard reflectors)
2x 8-cm Octa soft boxes
4 stands (2 air cushioned & 2 spring assisted)
2x 100cm shoot through brollies
1x Mains Radio Trigger and Receiver
2x 80cm 5-in-one reflectors
2x Background Reflectors
Plus other associated products - like spare bulbs, carry bags x 2 for the stands etc

The background reflectors are just brilliant. You can have them close to the back of the subject without light bleeding or spilling everywhere.

The recycle time is super quick - even on full power. The colour temperature is consistent with every flash, although I do add the Lastolite's Xpo-balance into my first portrait for good measure.

I am very glad I made the investment when I did and hope my relationship with Lencarta continues to be a good one.

In the next couple of weeks, I will be listing all my Portaflash Studio Equipment for sale. So if anyone is interested - watch out for the classifieds section.

Hope this brief review helps someone.

Gillian

Back