Beginner Affordable bridge camera with high shutter speed

Name
Mark Banyai
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone,
can anybody recommend me a brand/type of bridge camera to capture fast-moving objects? Good colour quality is also important of course but shutter speed is the most essential for me.
My budget ceiling is around £300. I know its not a lot, but I don't need the latest models.
Thanks for any recommendation!

Hi everyone,
can anybody recommend me a brand/type of bridge camera to capture fast-moving objects? Good colour quality is also important of course but shutter speed is the most essential for me.
My budget ceiling is around £300. I know its not a lot, but I don't need the latest models.
Thanks for any recommendation!
What are you shooting and what shutter speed do you need? Most cameras have high enough SS to capture pretty much anything (1/4000). Some mechanical shutters go to 1/8000 but that’s more important for preventing overexposure rather than freezing action. It would be useful to know what your intentions are.

I think you need to define 'fast' a little more. Do you mean bullet-type speeds or a racing car or what?
There were some Casio cameras that had extremely high frame rates but Casio pulled out of the camera market some years ago so they may be hard to find.

I think you need to define 'fast' a little more. Do you mean bullet-type speeds or a racing car or what?
There were some Casio cameras that had extremely high frame rates but Casio pulled out of the camera market some years ago so they may be hard to find.
Well, don't need to capture bullets, just animals in movement. I have hearding dogs (and heards of goats) and it would be great to catch them in action. My old camera (Canon PowerShot SX510 HS) is getting a bit slow for some reason. Years ago it made quite good photos but somehow it needs more light and still objects nowdays...

Well, don't need to capture bullets, just animals in movement. I have hearding dogs (and heards of goats) and it would be great to catch them in action. My old camera (Canon PowerShot SX510 HS) is getting a bit slow for some reason. Years ago it made quite good photos but somehow it needs more light and still objects nowdays...
Like what andrewc said, cameras generally don't start getting slow. The way you explain it sounds to me that the camera is selecting a slower shutter speed than you were previously getting (but I could have misunderstood completely) - so I'm taking it that the camera is set to aperture priority or even more automation. If the light conditions when taking the photo haven't changed much, then that suggests to me that a smaller aperture setting is restricting the light or the ISO is set to a lower sensitivity.

Rather than the shutter speed what could be a problem is the speed at which the camera meters and focuses. I've had some cameras which were awfully slow, too slow in fact to capture anything that moved whilst in any auto mode. The answer was to switch to manual, set the aperture and shutter speed and zone, pre or hyperfocal.

This may not be the complete answer for the op, but it could be an answer in some situations.

Back