ALERT: Ebay seller pilfering our images and selling them on disc.

they haven't just apologised, they have currently taken them all sales down. They are obviously trying to rectify the issue.

If they have got their images from a 3rd party and told they were all legitimate to sell on it's not really fair to blame this person outright. People effected should be finding out where the person got the images from as it's likely they stole them in the first place.

It would be like anyone of us buying something from a member on this forum and then finding out it was stolen.

I am not saying the person isn't to be held responsible, but people should also be looking elsewhere to place blame!

I wouldn't get your knickers in a twist everyone. They're not going to come back and apologise again, it's the digital equivalent of wasting your breath.

If they have got their images from a 3rd party and told they were all legitimate to sell on it's not really fair to blame this person outright. People effected should be finding out where the person got the images from as it's likely they stole them in the first place.

Of course, but people can still be charged with handling stolen property. :)

The fact that it wasn't taken directly by the person selling it really doesn't mean anything.

I am the seller that you are all discussing and I am shocked and distressed by the tone of your messages. Just for your information: my cds contained mainly my own images - I am a photographer and an artist, any other images that i added to my collections were, as far as i was aware, royalty free. It has been brought to my attention that this may not be the case so i have therefore withdrawn all of my items from sale until i can have my cd contents verified.

Amazes me how people like you think that its ok to steal other peoples creativity:wacky:

Of course, but people can still be charged with handling stolen property. :)

The fact that it wasn't taken directly by the person selling it really doesn't mean anything.

No, but they will only do you for handling stolen goods if they think you have done so willingly.

My brother once bought a stolen car, police pulled him over, he had no idea. They took it away and he lost out on £500. No action taken against him.

My issue is that everyone is putting all the blame on the seller, but if they genuinely didn't know we should also be looking for the person that sold them the images, because they will continue selling them to more people!

Last edited:
My issue is that everyone is putting all the blame on the seller, but if they genuinely didn't know we should also be looking for the person that sold them the images, because they will continue selling them to more people!

Ok, so you buy one of these CDs from the seller who had no idea, thus you have no idea, you use one of these images on a website, then all of a sudden the guy who actually owns the image is billing you for usage.

Who you gonna blame then? the seller you got the disc from. If you get sued for breach of copyright using those images in printed publications, who are you in turn going to sue to recoup your costs? That's right, the seller you got the disc from.

It's their responsibility to make sure the products they're selling are legit.

What about watermarking your images before you place them on the internet? Isn't that a good idea?

I am the seller that you are all discussing and I am shocked and distressed by the tone of your messages. Just for your information: my cds contained mainly my own images - I am a photographer and an artist, any other images that i added to my collections were, as far as i was aware, royalty free. It has been brought to my attention that this may not be the case so i have therefore withdrawn all of my items from sale until i can have my cd contents verified.

If you believed them to be royalty free, how did you justify the NB about not making copies of the disks?

People effected should be finding out where the person got the images from as it's likely they stole them in the first place.

It would be like anyone of us buying something from a member on this forum and then finding out it was stolen.

I am not saying the person isn't to be held responsible, but people should also be looking elsewhere to place blame!

The person in question should have some 'proof' that they have attempted to ensure that if they did 'obtain' the images from a secondary source which suggested that they were suitable for re-sale.

Ok, so you buy one of these CDs from the seller who had no idea, thus you have no idea, you use one of these images on a website, then all of a sudden the guy who actually owns the image is billing you for usage.

Who you gonna blame then? the seller you got the disc from. If you get sued for breach of copyright using those images in printed publications, who are you in turn going to sue to recoup your costs? That's right, the seller you got the disc from.

It's their responsibility to make sure the products they're selling are legit.

Quite, I believe that in the eyes of the law, 'ignorance' is not a defence

I like the look of this one I wouldn't mind betting that some of TPs members images are on there.

Interesting quote on the sellers page for this one.....

"All images on the DVD are in the public domain and are not subject to copyright or royalty regulations."

Now with my limited knowledge I reckon the seller means that all the images are freely available on a Google search, are therefore in "the public domain" and therefore not subject to copyright or royalty regulations. :wacky:

Oh dear.

Neil

PS Just sent the seller a question to verufy what he means by the phrase "All images on the DVD are in the public domain and are not subject to copyright or royalty regulations."

Last edited:
If Disney see that they'll probably sue for more than a million euros only real ones.

Andy

If you believed them to be royalty free, how did you justify the NB about not making copies of the disks?

Considering the age of the original post, I don't think you'll get an answer.

Interesting quote on the sellers page for this one.....

"All images on the DVD are in the public domain and are not subject to copyright or royalty regulations."

Now with my limited knowledge I reckon the seller means that all the images are freely available on a Google search, are therefore in "the public domain" and therefore not subject to copyright or royalty regulations. :wacky:

Oh dear.

Neil

PS Just sent the seller a question to verufy what he means by the phrase "All images on the DVD are in the public domain and are not subject to copyright or royalty regulations."

So that would include the images of the person selling the disk as well then.... ;)

The person in question should have some 'proof' that they have attempted to ensure that if they did 'obtain' the images from a secondary source which suggested that they were suitable for re-sale.

And my entire argument in this thread is that we have no idea of the true motives or whether they were indeed told they were for resale. You just don't know, but because we are photographers we all jump on the band wagon and automatically want to hang the person up and tear them limb from limb withouth knowing the full story!

What a great attitude to have! Don't worry about educating people, lets just burn them all at the stake! (y)

This sort of thing is exactly the reason I watermark my images and embed the copyright info in the exif data.

I haven't bought the aforementioned CD, but highly doubt any of my images will be on there.

still doesn't make it right for the peeps that have had there images used without consent. :nono:

Back