Alternative strap mount, tripod thread?

Edit My Images
No
I have a Konica Hexar RF which, like at least some Voigtlanders, has the strap lugs not where any sane person would put them, on the side, but sort of 3/4 towrads the front.

Hexar_rf-1-weba.jpg

This (combined with the small size and light weight of the lenses I use on the camera) means it wants wants to tip back at the top, out at the bottom and isn't very comfortable to carry. So I'm looking at alternative strap mounting solutions.

I did think about using an L plate to allow a strap to be attached at the side a'la Leica M5 but that seems like it'll be bulky and add a lot of weight.

So now I wonder about using something like a Peak Design anchor or similar to attach a strap to the underside of the camera but I don't really know how well this will work.

51Ez4Tr4Q7L._AC_.jpg

s-l1600.webp

I tend not to wear the camera on a neck strap, but protected in a cross-body over the shoulder pouch. This is a vintage Billingham, not made any more, but you get the idea.

CP105-2.jpg

I know that might not suit your way of working, but it remains an answer. You can combine that with also having a wrist strap on the camera (which I do).

Camera dangling upside down - no thanks!

Last edited:
Blackrapid every time ;)

On any of my old metal cameras I'd happily trust the tripod mount. I wouldn't be so sure about some of the mounting clips though - there have been many cases of them failing and coming undone. My Black Rapid one did just that, but I only ever use that as a third backup on my 150-600 lens, so luckily no damage done.

A point worthy of note, is that a lot of modern tripod mounts are only fixed to the plastic case - not a metal chassis. Just about OK for holding it to a tripod, but most certainly not strong enough (in my opinion) to catch a falling camera.

I tend not to wear the camera on a neck strap, but protected in a cross-body over the shoulder pouch. This is a vintage Billingham, not made any more, but you get the idea.

View attachment 427744

I know that might not suit your way of working, but it remains an answer. You can combine that with also having a wrist strap on the camera (which I do).

Camera dangling upside down - no thanks!

Yeah, I do often carry my camera in a bum bag worn across my body as this allows space to carry another lens and a film or two.

My strap of choice is the Konica Type D I think it's called which is a shoulder strap that converts to a wrist strap so if I'm carrying the camera in the bum bag I put the strap in wrist mode and it works well.
There are definitely times though that I prefer to carry on a shoulder strap and have the camera 'ready to go'.

On any of my old metal cameras I'd happily trust the tripod mount. I wouldn't be so sure about some of the mounting clips though - there have been many cases of them failing and coming undone. My Black Rapid one did just that, but I only ever use that as a third backup on my 150-600 lens, so luckily no damage done.

A point worthy of note, is that a lot of modern tripod mounts are only fixed to the plastic case - not a metal chassis. Just about OK for holding it to a tripod, but most certainly not strong enough (in my opinion) to catch a falling camera.

The Hexar is a titanium body and the camera overall is pretty solid so I reckon the tripod mount will be well enough attached.

I've moved to the Hexar from a digital Leica M which came with a Peak Design strap with the quick release button things and I'm sure it was solid enough but it did make me a little nervous! I didn't use it for long before switching to the Konica strap I mentioned above.

The wrist part of the Konica strap wouldn't work if it was mounted to the tripod screw I don't think.

Reactions: Sky
Back