Alternative to Adobe Bridge

Name
Malc
Edit My Images
No
I use Bridge, with its built-in photo-downloader, to transfer images from card (in reader) to laptop. I then sort, cull, add keywords and transfer the folder created to my external back-ups.
All processing is done in Affinity, including processing raw files.
However, I am becoming increasingly frustrated by Bridge's pathetic search facility. When searching by keyword, it finds hardly any of the images I know are tagged with the relevant keywords, and what it does find takes an age.

What is recommended for doing the tasks mentioned above? I don't need it for anything else.

Edit: For use on mac.

Last edited:
However, I am becoming increasingly frustrated by Bridge's pathetic search facility. When searching by keyword, it finds hardly any of the images I know are tagged with the relevant keywords, and what it does find takes an age.
Despite being a long time Unix and OSX user, I'm seriously impressed with the "Find" box in Windows 10.

I give my image files descriptive names, which include all the keywords I'll be likely to search on. I find that the Explorer can select a subset from 5,000 or so images almost instantaneously and even 20,000, across a WiFi network, takes a couple of seconds.

Sometimes, we all need to look at what we already have.

Hi, Have a look at Faststone viewer it is FREE I have been using with Affinity and other apps as it allows you to add apps as needed to open images with, I have used since I dropped Lightroom 6 because it couldn't read RAW files from Sony A7 IV, also didn't take long to work out how to use it either. Russ.

Despite being a long time Unix and OSX user, I'm seriously impressed with the "Find" box in Windows 10.

I give my image files descriptive names, which include all the keywords I'll be likely to search on. I find that the Explorer can select a subset from 5,000 or so images almost instantaneously and even 20,000, across a WiFi network, takes a couple of seconds.

Sometimes, we all need to look at what we already have.
Thanks Andrew, but I forgot to mention that I use a mac...

Hi, Have a look at Faststone viewer it is FREE I have been using with Affinity and other apps as it allows you to add apps as needed to open images with, I have used since I dropped Lightroom 6 because it couldn't read RAW files from Sony A7 IV, also didn't take long to work out how to use it either. Russ.
Cheers, Russell, sounds like just what I need...and being free appeals to me ...off for a butchers.

Edit: Winders only, unfortunately...

Last edited:
Edit: Winders only, unfortunately...
Run Windows in a virtual machine? There are several free ones that run well under OSX. I use Oracle's VirtualBox.

I go the other way, these days. My default is currently to use a Windows laptop, so I can choose to use Windows apps or log into my OSX server (a 2012 MacBook Pro) via VNC Viewer. As Windows will also happily access my OSX drives, I keep my data on the Mac but do almost everything on Windows. The whole thing is amazingly quick even using WiFi.

Don’t know how this compares to Bridge or Faststone (assuming you looked into it beyond seeing it didn’t work with Mac) but as you need Mac compatibility then assuming it meets your needs FastRawViewer is a decent app and whilst not free it’s certainly not expensive.

You get a 30 day trial.

I only really use it for culling and basic colour labelling and staring before moving to my editing app of choice and I know I’m barely scratching the surface of what it can do.

Don’t know how this compares to Bridge or Faststone (assuming you looked into it beyond seeing it didn’t work with Mac) but as you need Mac compatibility then assuming it meets your needs FastRawViewer is a decent app and whilst not free it’s certainly not expensive.

You get a 30 day trial.

I only really use it for culling and basic colour labelling and staring before moving to my editing app of choice and I know I’m barely scratching the surface of what it can do.
Thanks Rob. It certainly is cheap...
Couldn't see that it allows assigning keywords, just ratings and labels, so will have to check with their support...

Couldn't see that it allows assigning keywords, just ratings and labels, so will have to check with their support...
No worries. Definitely worth a look I’d say.
I do my key wording in LRc so can’t say 100%.
IIRC it allows flag/colour/rating as well as renaming and descriptive edits.

The programmers are very open to ideas by all accounts too so worth asking for implementation of missing areas if/you feel worthwhile.

Fast Raw Viewer doesn't allow assigning or searching for keywords, but it's very good for fast culling.

I would consider using Neofinder alongside Bridge.

As long as you get Bridge to save metadata to an XMP file, Neofinder will catalogue everything you do in Bridge and allow very rapid, and flexible searching. You can launch Affinity Photo from Neofinder. The only down side is keeping the Neofinder catalogue up to date with changes made in Bridge.

However, once you have made the initial import and culling in Bridge, you make any further metadata changes inside Neofinder, which will show up in Bridge via the shared XMP files.

Photo mechanic Plus is another, but very pricey option.

I was also going to mention Photomechanic, as it seems to be what a lot of professional sports photographers use.

That looks perfect for my needs, Lewis...free trial downloaded!
Some comments on Photo Mechanic.

1. It comes in two versions PM. and PM+.

PM+ is relatively new and adds cataloguing to the original browser only version of PM. Both versions are still on sale.

PM used Spotlight to search metadata, but I found it unusable as you need to open all the folders you want to search, inside PM before searching (slow if you have thousands of photographs) AND spotlight doesn't work properly with XMP files. With the old PM I never found "all" my files in a search. PM support explained the issue was with Spotlight, and subsequently removed Spotlight searching from PM. It was brought back by popular demand from PM users even though it's known it doesn't work properly.

So, if searching is important, you need PM+, which is identical to PM, but adds cataloging.

2. PM + is all about speed, and it uses the RAW file built in previews, rather than generating previews; the way most catalogues work. Now-a-days both LR and C1 adopt the same approach during ingest of using built in previews, but still build full size previews in the background. So while PM still has many speed advantages, other programs aren't as far behind as they used to be. Cameras that use low quality previews (Olympus and Sony) are at a "slight" disadvantage in terms of assessing image quality when compared to Nikon and Canon (but see below). You can get PM to render these files as DNGs, but it slows down the ingest

3. The catalogue of PM+ is a great asset for general file management and searching, but it isn't a mature DAM like Neofinder or LR. For example, there. are no smart folders (but you can save searches) and unlike every other DAM I've used, you cannot search by orientation (ie horizontal or vertical, but see below)).

4. PM/PM+ is very powerful, but has essentially the same, and rather old fashioned, interface that it's had since I started using it 20 years ago. Technical support is very good, and very quick (via the forum or the support desk), There are several good videos on Youtube.

5. You need to learn PM to get the most out of it. You can massively speed up workflow through PMs templates, auto complete, use of variables, code replacement tools and other customisations. But it can be a bit daunting.

For example, I have ingest templates for all the locations I regularly visit that automatically add metadata to XMP files on ingest. This includes "code replacement" values (=sn{mn0}=, =or{rot}) in the keyword field that automatically adds keywords for the season (Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter) and orientation (Vertical or Horizontal) from the exif data. These use a small look up table so, for example, if the exif data has a date in March, PM will add Spring as a keyword.

6. PM has a couple of flaws for me (apart from it being a still maturing DAM). The first is you can only easily compare two pictures at a time ie zoom them in synch to compare sharpness etc, and that there are no exposure adjustments available. So an image exposed to the right can be too pale to assess properly, and you can't brighten an underexposed image. PM has been asked several times to add an exposure adjustment, but it's always met with a flat "NO". To be fair Neofinder doesn't help with these issues either, but its designed as a DAM, and not a culling tool.

My solution is to use Fast Raw Viewer as my default "External editor" (Cmd+E). A solution that also works with Neofinder. FRV will open the selected image in PM almost instantaneously, along with thumbnails of any other images in the same folder. FRV has some editing tools (exposure, contrast, colour balance, and B/W conversion, but not cropping), focus assessment, raw histogram, and four up viewing. Any adjustments to ratings and colour labels are saved to XMP and immediately readable in PM. FRV also builds temporary preview files so Olympus and Sony files are seen in high quality. I don't use FRV that often, but it has some very useful tools, and can speed up the culling part of a workflow.

As PM+ has a file browser and a catalogue, the changes made in FRV will show up in the PM browser immediately, but won't be saved to the catalogue until you run a catalogue update.

I think this is already too long but PM is an odd program that I think you only really appreciate it after using it for some time and realising how much it can do.

Grateful thanks, @myotis for taking the time to share all that extra info. It certainly helps understand the software before I get to grips with it. I will be making max use of the 30 day free trial, which thankfully offers all the features in PM+, so that an assessment is more thorough.

I use Bridge, with its built-in photo-downloader, to transfer images from card (in reader) to laptop. I then sort, cull, add keywords and transfer the folder created to my external back-ups.
All processing is done in Affinity, including processing raw files.

What is recommended for doing the tasks mentioned above? I don't need it for anything else.

Edit: For use on mac.
Malc is Apple photos library no use for organising, you probably need more than me but I use it for the organisation and storage, edit in either Lightroom photoshop and Affinity

Malc is Apple photos library no use for organising, you probably need more than me but I use it for the organisation and storage, edit in either Lightroom photoshop and Affinity
Thanks for the suggestion, but I have an established workflow, involving exporting to NAS, cloud-based storage and to a free-standing external drive, and just want to replace the job Bridge does of importing, sorting and keywording, etc. I don't want to start paying for more cloud storage...

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have an established workflow, involving exporting to NAS, cloud-based storage and to a free-standing external drive, and just want to replace the job Bridge does of importing, sorting and keywording, etc. I don't want to start paying for more cloud storage...
You can tell Apple photos where you want your photographs stored, and doesn't need to involve anything being stored in the cloud. At least it didn't when I tried it.

There have been a few people using Apple Photos with Affinity Photo

A google search on: Apple photos and affinity photo workflow

throws up several videos (that I haven't watched)

You can tell Apple photos where you want your photographs stored, and doesn't need to involve anything being stored in the cloud. At least it didn't when I tried it.

There have been a few people using Apple Photos with Affinity Photo

A google search on: Apple photos and affinity photo workflow

throws up several videos (that I haven't watched)
Thanks Graham, I was under the impression that cloud storage was involved.
I've now downloaded the free trial of PM, so will look at that first, then go on to what you suggest if for whatever reason I decide to drop it.

Thanks Graham, I was under the impression that cloud storage was involved.
I've now downloaded the free trial of PM, so will look at that first, then go on to what you suggest if for whatever reason I decide to drop it.
It "can" involve cloud storage if you want it to.

However, for me, PM is one of those programs that once you get into using it, you can't live without.

Last edited:
@Craikeybaby ...downloaded and having fun getting to know it. Impressed by the speed of the search facility, and the cataloguing...I have a feeling this will be the replacement I'll be using - many thanks for the tip, and to @myotis who also recommended it.

Unfortunately a little late to the discussion, but for anyone finding this thread in the future I thought that I'd mention DigiKam. I've found DigiKam to be reliable software for organising and searching my images. There is a Mac version, but I've not used it.
I like that it works with your images stored in the folder structure of your choosing. I'm using it with Affinity Photo for processing and FastRawViewer for initial filtering of images. Give it a try.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Lightroom. I never use Bridge because it is slow. LR has a fast database where it stores image data and meta data so searches are very fast. Bridge just uses the Operatinh System file system. So if you need search for images with a specific keyword, then Bridge (via the OS) has to open each image file check the data gainst the criteria close and move on to the next file. I might typically search for Keyword: people, Keyword; Red dates 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021. File type TIFF, Rating 4* or higher. This would take LR much less than a second to search my library of 30,000+ image files. Bridge could take hours or days to do the same.
Dave

Thanks for the post @Dave Canon , but LR is far more than I need or want, and in addition, I am not prepared to pay every month for something which I can purchase for a one-off payment. I tried LR when I was locked into the Adobe system and didn't get on with it at all, so no way I am going back down that route.
Thanks, though.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Lightroom. I never use Bridge because it is slow. LR has a fast database where it stores image data and meta data so searches are very fast. Bridge just uses the Operatinh System file system. So if you need search for images with a specific keyword, then Bridge (via the OS) has to open each image file check the data gainst the criteria close and move on to the next file. I might typically search for Keyword: people, Keyword; Red dates 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021. File type TIFF, Rating 4* or higher. This would take LR much less than a second to search my library of 30,000+ image files. Bridge could take hours or days to do the same.
Dave
Actually, I mentioned LR when I made a comparisons between PM+ and LR, but I assumed, and maybe others did as well, that as Malc was using Affinity Photo, he was probably looking for a non-adobe (subscription) solution.

Actually, I mentioned LR when I made a comparisons between PM+ and LR, but I assumed, and maybe others did as well, that as Malc was using Affinity Photo, he was probably looking for a non-adobe (subscription) solution.
Spot on, Graham.(y)

Back