An experimentation in 35mm film

Name
Sean
Edit My Images
Yes
So, it's my last year in A-Level photography, and I wanted to experiment with as many different techniques as possible because I may never get to go in a traditional darkroom ever again.
So far I've done high ISO black and white film, slide film, cross processing, with medium format, push processing, and a few others lined up for the future.

My theme is loneliness/emptiness, particularly in human environments.

I think I'll go in order from least to most favourite:

First up:
Cross Processing

Just a Fuji Velvia (I think) ISO100 slide film, cross processed in C41 chemicals, instead of E6 chemicals. I didn't even think about white balance, using a daylight balanced film in a tungsten environment. Woops! So, now we have overpowering oranges. Nevermind!

5mph
3332120594_f2d59cd367.jpg

Knocked over cone
3332120268_bf3fd195c4.jpg

Empty Car Park
3331285765_df7c59280a.jpg

Second:
Slide Film
Not sure what film type this was. I know it was Fuji though, as I'm sure you can tell by the colour. Love this film. It's a little soft though, but helped immensely by the wonderful unsharp mask!

Trolley
3332124376_f088ac801a.jpg

Waiting for the Bus
3332123248_9ec7c439b7.jpg

Abandonment
3331287495_dd5f68020f.jpg

Third:
High ISO Black and White
Ilford Delta 3200. I was going to push it by one stop, but then I thought that that was pushing it a bit (pun intended!). I accidentally underexposed it by a stop-ish, but I quite like the end result. Most of the images were very useable and the grain is amazing.

Alleyway
3331284081_212c7e1de4.jpg

Office Stairway
3331283591_b51d83ccb9.jpg

Office Stairway 2
3332119002_c1ec1602d4.jpg

3331283893_26a011765c.jpg

Im intrigued by the delta 3200, i love that grain as well. I will be using a high iso film like that for a little project over the summer. Do you have anymore examples of this film with the correct exposure as i take it the grain is more prominent in the underexposed parts.

Foodpoison, out of th 3 images you posted taken with Velvia - did you change the white balance in the third, or is the Tungsten lighting just less intense for that shot?

I really like the series - especially the office stairs and "abandonment".

I personally really like that blue tone and often put it into my digital images.

Love the high iso stuff.....got me wanting to find a compact film camera for taking on 'de street'....love the grain :)

Foodpoison, out of th 3 images you posted taken with Velvia - did you change the white balance in the third, or is the Tungsten lighting just less intense for that shot?

I really like the series - especially the office stairs and "abandonment".

I personally really like that blue tone and often put it into my digital images.

It was actually fluorescent/white lighting on the car park, so was actually less intense. Perfect!

Love the high iso stuff.....got me wanting to find a compact film camera for taking on 'de street'....love the grain :)

It's fantastic, isn't it :D

Forgive me for being blunt, but I think the photos are quite boring. The cross-processing doesn't help the first two much. Overall they just look like a bunch of snapshots with little thought behind them. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you say they are, but as an art project or themed series, I'm not convinced.

On a more positive note, "Waiting for the bus" and "Office Stairway" are cool. Office Stairway would look nice in print I think.

Trying out different techniques is great and I don't want to discourage you, but interesting technique is no substitute for the basic premise which is to take a "good" photo in the first place.

TRIP - I want one, but cant justify another 35mm body :p
did see one of the SIS matchbox cameras if you wanted something more discreet ***....

Forgive me for being blunt, but I think the photos are quite boring. The cross-processing doesn't help the first two much. Overall they just look like a bunch of snapshots with little thought behind them. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you say they are, but as an art project or themed series, I'm not convinced.

well FP can take lush normal pictures following normal rules and conventions both in film and the other sections of the forum. This was an experiment and imho some of them are v funky if I went out and shot a roll of film and came back with this I would be dead chuffed.

I didn't say he's a rubbish photographer. I just don't think much of this particular bunch of photos. I appreciate what he's doing though and don't want to be discouraging. That's all. I just have a different approach to test photos perhaps.

On a more positive note, "Waiting for the bus" and "Office Stairway" are cool. Office Stairway would look nice in print I think.

Trying out different techniques is great and I don't want to discourage you, but interesting technique is no substitute for the basic premise which is to take a "good" photo in the first place.

I cross processed the whole roll. Unfortunately it's pretty difficult to cross process one or two frames, especially as you don't know what the frame is prior to developing.

These are just a minute part of the project and just part of the photographic journey.

I'm actually quite insulted that you consider these to be snapshots. I've thought carefully about all the technicalities of the exposure and composition/framing on all but the first 2 frames (it was extremely dark and so I allowed for cropping which I haven't shown in any of these images apart from 'office stairway's).

I find your tone condescending and pretentious with little or no attempt at giving some genuinely helpful constructive criticism. :shrug: :thumbsdown:

I don't really want to get into an argument or anything about this, especially given
C+C appreciated!
Or thoughts!
Or anything!

If you feel I am not being constructive or that I am condescending and pretentious, I'm fine with that. I'm just giving you my honest opinion and trying not to be cruel about it. Not everyone in the world is going to like your work (and I don't expect everyone to like mine) and I don't see anything wrong with a bit of honest, negative criticism when opinions are asked for.

I don't really want to get into an argument or anything about this, especially given

If you feel I am not being constructive or that I am condescending and pretentious, I'm fine with that. I'm just giving you my honest opinion and trying not to be cruel about it. Not everyone in the world is going to like your work (and I don't expect everyone to like mine) and I don't see anything wrong with a bit of honest, negative criticism when opinions are asked for.

I totally agree, and I'm not so narrow minded so as to think that everyone in the world is going to love my photographs. But to consider them snapshots, in my opinion, is quite rude and unjust.

However you're entitled to your opinion, as I am mine. And in my opinion the way in which you gave me yours was rude and required a little tact.

Having a look through, there are perhaps 3 images that could be deemed as snapshot due to the fact that the framing has not been so rigorous.

Back