Another Scanner Thread

epson v750. quality is great, not quiet that of a drum scan though but is fine for us mortals

Right well I was just about to start a new thread asking about scanners so I'll mention it here then (y)

TIP - If you upgrade to a Mac from a Windows PC and your scanner isn't supported take a look at www.hamrick.com they have a program that works with virtually all Windows scanners on a Mac.

Anyway I remember seeing a photo scanner a few years ago that you fed pictures into one after the other. Anyone know where I can get something like that now? I have a box of photos 1.5x1.5x2.5 feet in size that I want to scan !!!! Most of the developed pictures have the negs with them so an alternative would be a negative scanner - and both Mrs C and me are both going to be using film now so that might be a good idea.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I have a HP Scanjet 6550 at the moment plus the scanner on the HP C6280 multi function device. If I use either of these it will literally take weeks to scan all the pictures!!

What scanner do you own and what is it's quality like?

What do you/don't you like about it?

Nikon Super Coolscan 5000ED

Fast, excellent quality, noisy (as in you need earplugs), expensive.

Re quality, though - if you scan and look at the file at 100% in software, the grain looks pretty appalling. Bear that in mind if you're thinking of submitting to eg Alamy.

I think you can get a batch slide feeder for it but it costs a fortune.

TIP - If you upgrade to a Mac from a Windows PC.....

I have a HP Scanjet 6550 at the moment plus the scanner on the HP C6280 multi function device. If I use either of these it will literally take weeks to scan all the pictures!!

Upgrade....gimme a break :LOL:

You need a scanner that supports a document feeder, I don't think there is one available for either of those scanners.
Search fleabay for an ADF scanner, there's definitely a few about for not much money..:)

***I have a box of photos 1.5x1.5x2.5 feet in size that I want to scan !***

Any decent scanner going back 10 years (or more) will scan prints:-

I've just thrown away an excellent 10 year old Epson scanner that gave results like this:-

8X10" print scanned.
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn172/chakrata/horse.jpg

Staff Edit : Images changed to clickable links. Pictures must not exceed current forum limits as per the rules.
Please feel free to replace this with a fresh/resized image and remove this text :)

Currently in the market for a scanner - needs to handle 35mm (and maybe 120 if i feel generous and want to help out a mate...) Looking at the V500 epson and the 8800F canon but can't decide which. V700/750 is just too much brass. Anyone with first hand experience of both?

Upgrade....gimme a break :LOL:

You need a scanner that supports a document feeder, I don't think there is one available for either of those scanners.
Search fleabay for an ADF scanner, there's definitely a few about for not much money..:)

The HP Scanjet HAS an ADF but I wouldn't want to feed photos through it!

Currently in the market for a scanner - needs to handle 35mm (and maybe 120 if i feel generous and want to help out a mate...) Looking at the V500 epson and the 8800F canon but can't decide which. V700/750 is just too much brass. Anyone with first hand experience of both?

See if you can buy a s/h Epson 2480 for about £10.......they are very good for results when viewed on a computer screen and emailing, but I haven't seen a large print from it.
This trannie was scanned by my 2480:-
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn172/chakrata/img367.jpg

The advantage of the V750 which I also have is:-
You can scan more negs and pos in one go, higher dpi scan, a bit more detail in the shadow areas etc...but it's all a cost of diminishing returns for your money. I was lucky I got my V750 pro for £90 s/h boxed as new, and am still waiting to find the "catch" by something not working properly (compared to a new one).

Can anyone suggest a decent 35mm negative scanner. I have just been looking and there are some at around £60 from scan upwards!! I would like to be able to scan with a decent quality and would like a dedicated device. What suggestions have people got?

No....just no...

Dedicated scanners are expensive, that thing is cheap for a reason.

If you're looking to keep costs down, look at flat beds, they will give you the best bang for buck :)

No....just no...

If you're looking to keep costs down, look at flat beds, they will give you the best bang for buck :)

I wasn't going to get that one :)

I was just pointing out that you can get them from about £50 upwards and WHAT amount do you actually need to spend to get good results? I have seen quite a few at about £150 ish.

Any particular models?

There is this one at £60

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Veho-VFS-004-Deluxe-35mm-Negative-and-Slide-Film-Scanner

and another at £50 !!

I am looking at scanning in a hugh box of films plus using asda's 99p process to negs offer for the moment.

You may have seen occasional comments from me complaining about a scanner that's been driving me loopy for the last month or so - crashing my machine, interacting badly with the TV card in the computer and generally being a pain in the harris. Guess which one it is? Yep - that very one. Treat it with garlic crucifixes and a large supply of sharpened stakes.:LOL: Boy i'm glad it wasn't my £60 that bought it - it's been irritating as a scrounged freebie, nevermind paid for!

Well dedicated scanners are expensive, £150 is gonna be a battered old scsi connected windows 98 type affair.
Flat beds can go for cheap on filthbay.

Epson 4490, 4990, v500, v750

Canon 8***F, 9***F

Microtec 800i, 900i

These are scanners designed to scan film, not dedicated but better than flatbeds that have a film adapter as an optional extra.

I bought a Primefilm 1800U from Jessops a couple of years ago for £69.00

It can scan 35mm negs and slides at up to 1800 DPI, creating files of 11MB.

you can download the manual and drivers for it here;-

http://www.scanace.com/download/Cyb_X_SF.htm

I am very happy with this scanner, have scanned in loads of pics from the 1970's, mostly black and white and a fair number of slides too.

It is about 12" x 8" x 2" and very easy to use.

John

I got a PlusTek Opticfilm 7300 a few weeks back. Does a decent job scanning in my B&W negs, although I've only done one roll so far.

I got a PlusTek Opticfilm 7300 a few weeks back. Does a decent job scanning in my B&W negs, although I've only done one roll so far.

That looks like the kind of thing, there seem to be a few in that line of scanners. If I can get a film developed to negs for 99p then it takes a lot of the cost away. I can then archive them digitally and start practicing home development from the negs before I then start that bit of the process at home too.

Any chance of some examples from it in b&w and colour please?

I've only done a roll of HP5+ so far....so here's a few B&W :

film_london-6.jpg

film_london-3.jpg

film_london-1.jpg

Now that is the kind of thing I am looking for thanks......

Will have to treat myself :)

No....just no...

I have used one of them...........not great but if your on a budget and your tweak the settings and have a powerful computer so that you can scan at the highest resolution you can get results like these in 10 secs.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2593/3770713697_574be500b4_b.jpg

Staff Edit : Images changed to clickable links. Pictures must not exceed current forum limits as per the rules.
Please feel free to replace this with a fresh/resized image and remove this text :)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3563/3771521494_a59c204047_b.jpg

That is pretty good stuff, it might be worth sharing your settings if other people have been having problems.

I've just sold my D1x to buy a decent scanner and I am going for the Plustek OpticFilm 7500i SE I have a large box of films to scan in and if I can get film to negs for 99p then I can do some serious experimentation with the film camera without it costing me an arm and a leg. I just love film b&w and want to play with IR too. Just have to find a suitable IR camera as my F80 can't be used with IR film due to the IR film sensor inside it :( Thinking of an older Nikon but will need to ask advice on what to go for. Plenty of people on here will know :)

Those scans from my Plustek are just single-pass...I've not tried the multiple exposure/multi-pass noise reduction stuff. They seem a little over-exposed too...might have another go at them tonight.

Back