Aphid wars IV a new hope

it would seem like the Hoverfly might be ovipositing/egg laying?
I'd not thought of that, but now you mention it, you could well be right Paul (y)

Nice set and the last is my fave
She is definitely ovipositing the next stage is a monster eating the aphids I have no evidence the shots shown are the same species

A lion in a flock of compliant sheep
Hover-fly-larvae-eating-aphid by Alf Branch, on Flickr

The reason for moving the aphid away from the twig is to not spook other aphids

Hover fly larva eating aphid by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
Love the title, love the images, especially the first and last, but they're all cracking.

I know she laid an egg, because when she flew off, I could see the tiny egg left by her.
zooming right in in 21 pretty sure that's an egg, in that case (y)
Egg.jpg

She is definitely ovipositing the next stage is a monster eating the aphids I have no evidence the shots shown are the same species
Amazing images! Thanks for sharing those Alf
Every days a school day (y)

Love the title, love the images, especially the first and last, but they're all cracking.
Cheers Steve, much appreciated (y)

Last edited:
zooming right in in 21 pretty sure that's an egg, in that case (y)
View attachment 275128

Amazing images! Thanks for sharing those Alf
Every days a school day (y)

Cheers Steve, much appreciated (y)

Yeah that is an egg I do not know how they take to hatch as my book Britain's hoverflies doesn't cover eggs and larvae

do not know how they take to hatch as my book Britain's hoverflies doesn't cover eggs and larvae
I got curious, google tells me that the eggs hatch in 2-3 days during the summer..
I'll have another look in a couple of days ( I know which flower that was ... )

It does seem quick to me, but google never lies eh? :D

Last edited:
All this egg talk took me back to when I first started didgital photography, I took up the hobby mainly to do macro and this was one of my best shots at the time. The hoverfly landed on some decking we had just had put up and started to lay these eggs ... I remember making a mad dash for the camera. That was 11 years ago now.

Hover Fly Laying Eggs
by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

Back