B&W Paper samples

Name
You can call me Sir.
Edit My Images
Yes
Given my recent intoroduction to the darkroom I'm keen for more. There's a variety of papers out there and I want to try a few to see what they do differently to each other but without wasting money on loads of different packs. I've seen inkjet sample packs which provide a variety of sheet materials but I've not seen the same for tradition papers. Does anyone know of anywhere that sells them?

My tutor said just to buy gloss because satin and matt won't give proper blacks. Gotta give these things a try though don't you.

I won't have access to it until Saturday, but I can send you a couple of sheets of Ilford 8x10 gloss and pearl resin coated if you want. I might have some FB still, not sure.

Silverprint will know if such a thing exists, probably worth phoning them.

If you want samples, it might be worth trying your local "pro" lab. I went down to bayereux in london, and asked about different papers and stuff, and a few minutes later, Hey presto! I got quite a few sheets of a whole variety of paper for free:D

also, I wouldn't believe your tutor. I use pretty much matt only, and I have never seen a difference in blacks. (though in some lighting it can be different)

I wouldn't go for gloss, its incredibly shiny (worse for lighting) and proper prints are usually made on matt, not gloss. (well, I prefer matt anyway!)

I won't have access to it until Saturday, but I can send you a couple of sheets of Ilford 8x10 gloss and pearl resin coated if you want. I might have some FB still, not sure.

Silverprint will know if such a thing exists, probably worth phoning them.

Thanks for the offer Martin but I'll find something, no need to waste your paper on me. I'll speak to silverprint tomorrow and see what they say.

If you want samples, it might be worth trying your local "pro" lab. I went down to bayereux in london, and asked about different papers and stuff, and a few minutes later, Hey presto! I got quite a few sheets of a whole variety of paper for free:D

also, I wouldn't believe your tutor. I use pretty much matt only, and I have never seen a difference in blacks. (though in some lighting it can be different)

I wouldn't go for gloss, its incredibly shiny (worse for lighting) and proper prints are usually made on matt, not gloss. (well, I prefer matt anyway!)

Pro lab? In the deepest darkest midlands? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I thought the same thing about what my tutor said. He might be right but I'll only learn these things by trying for myself. I'm doing 12 portraits for my final submission and I've never really been a fan of gloss paper for portraits anyway.

Shopping tomorrow it is then.

I'm not a fan of the gloss either but thats what I bought when I first started, so I've got about 75 sheets of 8x10 left that I'm slowly working through. Matt or Pearl are much nicer IMO and if you mount behind glass look better as well

Re the blacks, provided you expose and develop properly I've never seen a noticable problem with Max black :shrug:

unless I had a certain specific reason, i would never go gloss. Ive never really liked it actually. I wish it was the same price to get prints made in matt in minilabs:(

I too prefer the texture of matt or pearl, but you will get better contrasts with gloss.

It's much easier to get that impact a good print can give from gloss paper as the contrast is that much more evident, as said above.

You can get great impact from matt papers though, it's just harder to do. But as with lots of things that are not easy, they are so worth the extra effort. I've been lucky enough to print quite a lot of exhibition/fine art work and matt paper is just a given.

If you can fond some that's fairtrade and made by third world, one legged, lesbian lepers, then so much the better. ;)

If you can fond some that's fairtrade and made by third world, one legged, lesbian lepers, then so much the better. ;)

Don't think Sainsbury's sell photographic paper;)

I wish my course covered this side of things but it doesn't, so far I've had five minutes of my tutor pooring the chemicals and turning the safe light on then I've been left to my own devices for a morning so I've no idea how I'm going to learn all this stuff properly.

I've been looking at Ilford papers and the do a Graded and Multigrade version. Meant nothing to me and their website isn't much help either. I did find something on the invention of Multigrade paper with some very dry reading that said that using different coloured filter would alter the contrast of the image. Can you use these filters to compensate for the drop in contrast that Matt/Satin papers give? Do the alter the exposure time of the paper? Do you only use one, or one after the other, or stack them together?

So many question..............

Whatever of this gets too close to egg sucking lessons, please just ignore but I'll start from somewhere near the beginning.

b&w papers use a grading system to show contrast, with 5 being the highest. Grade 5 is very extreme and looks not too far from a photocopy without lots of attention to getting the exposure just right to tweak out any detail.

At the bottom of the scale (can't actually remember if it's 0 or 1 anymore) you get a very soft image with practically no hope in hell of getting a solid black anywhere in the print.

So, once you've decided what level of contrast you want, there are two ways of getting that grade. One is to choose a graded paper and print on that.

If you get a grade 3 paper, it will always be grade 3 no matter what you do with it. No filters or colour of light, or exposure changes will effect the contrast the paper gives at all.

The other way is to use multigrade paper. This responds differently to the colour of light the enlarger emits and you use this to set your contrast levels.

With a "b&w" enlarger, there is a little tray in the head that you place coloured gel filters into. They come in a box, usually going up in half levels.

If you have a colour enlarger then it will have 3 colour controls on it that allow you to choose the level of three colour filters that adjust the light falling onto the print through the neg.

These are Yellow, Magenta and Cyan. Various combinations of the yellow and magenta filters produce exactly the same colours as the contrast filters for b&w enlargers.

The combinations that you need will be listed on the box for multigrade papers and these are probably the best place to start as it allows you to experiment without buying lots of different papers of different grades.

Also with multigrade papers, you can have a soft print but burn in certain areas at a higher grade if you need little spots of higher contrast..... but perhaps we should save that for another day. ;)

Kev, I used to get Agfa paper from a rep once when I worked in retail, that sure was nice. You could always ask your local shop if they can get a rep to come up with a smallish pack.

I also like Pearl paper far easier to dry than gloss too.

Whatever of this gets too close to egg sucking lessons, please just ignore but I'll start from somewhere near the beginning.

b&w papers use a grading system to show contrast, with 5 being the highest. Grade 5 is very extreme and looks not too far from a photocopy without lots of attention to getting the exposure just right to tweak out any detail.

At the bottom of the scale (can't actually remember if it's 0 or 1 anymore) you get a very soft image with practically no hope in hell of getting a solid black anywhere in the print.

So, once you've decided what level of contrast you want, there are two ways of getting that grade. One is to choose a graded paper and print on that.

If you get a grade 3 paper, it will always be grade 3 no matter what you do with it. No filters or colour of light, or exposure changes will effect the contrast the paper gives at all.

The other way is to use multigrade paper. This responds differently to the colour of light the enlarger emits and you use this to set your contrast levels.

With a "b&w" enlarger, there is a little tray in the head that you place coloured gel filters into. They come in a box, usually going up in half levels.

If you have a colour enlarger then it will have 3 colour controls on it that allow you to choose the level of three colour filters that adjust the light falling onto the print through the neg.

These are Yellow, Magenta and Cyan. Various combinations of the yellow and magenta filters produce exactly the same colours as the contrast filters for b&w enlargers.

The combinations that you need will be listed on the box for multigrade papers and these are probably the best place to start as it allows you to experiment without buying lots of different papers of different grades.

Also with multigrade papers, you can have a soft print but burn in certain areas at a higher grade if you need little spots of higher contrast..... but perhaps we should save that for another day. ;)

Not sucky eggs ata all Daz I didn't know about any of that so it was most helpful.

I also like Pearl paper far easier to dry than gloss too.

I can't see me getting to a proper photography shop in time so I'm going to have to order online. Ilford don't appear to do a Matt paper so what's the difference between Pearl and Satin? Can someone try to explain what the surface finish is like for me please?

Cheers

Pearl is a bit shinier than satin, and it seems to have a slightly rougher texture.
Dunno if that changes between manufacturers, I've only fiddled with Ilford.

There used to be literally dozens of different surfaces that have all fallen by the wayside.

I used to have a trade sample book that was over two inches thick showing all the samples available in 1968. It not only showed the differing surfaces but also all the base tints.
It is true that the maximum black can be seen on a high gloss and the lowest on a lustre.

However different makes have a different maximum black and whitest whites. Many have florescence agents to maximise the whites. The problem with that is it will show up retouching if they are later used for reproduction. So special Press bromide was made for this purpose by Kodak.

Agfa made a paper with a velvet flock surface which gave an amazing black on exhibition prints but would mark at the slightest touch.

The selection available today is a very poor relation.

Back