Bark fly and worms

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Just found a bark fly on the compost bin. First one I have seen this year...

newbark1_4k_1800-X3.jpg

And the tubifex worms or whatever they are (blood worms?) are out in force around an apple that has fallen into my little garden pond.

wormsies1_4k_1800-X3.jpg

wormsies2_4k_1800-X3.jpg

Paul.

It looks like a mixture of both, to me Paul.
Bloodworms are quite dumpy and red, tubifex are longer, thinner and more brownish.
The fish will love them ( assuming you have fish)

Great capture on the bark fly (y)

It looks like a mixture of both, to me Paul.
Bloodworms are quite dumpy and red, tubifex are longer, thinner and more brownish.
The fish will love them ( assuming you have fish)

Great capture on the bark fly (y)

Only tadpoles Chris... :)

Paul.

Only tadpoles Chris... :)

Paul.
Tadpoles? seem a bit later? mine are hopping about in the "undergrowth" ;)

Nonetheless tadpoles turn carnivorous when they get their back legs.
I raised a load the other year and fed them on tubifex & brine shrimp once their legs started to appear :)

Yeah - there are still a fair few swimming around.
I've noted elsewhere in the past, I get a pond full of spawn each year around mid / late March.
Mid April I get a couple of hard late frosts and it turns it all to jelly. :(

This year however I did hear the males calling, again in late May, and spotted a handful of tadpoles in the shallows sometime after.
I guess they managed an albeit small, second clutch (y)

Yeah - there are still a fair few swimming around. I did see a couple legging, and I assume they have now left the water, but I've seen froglets in the garden.

Paul.
Very nice barkfly - they can be tricky.
Sadly my pond only has newts - no frogs or toads. I don't think I have seen either this year.

Very nice barkfly - they can be tricky.
Sadly my pond only has newts - no frogs or toads. I don't think I have seen either this year.

Thanks Dave.

I've only had a couple of newts over the years and would like more but it's unlikely to happen. I see a few toads occasionally but it's usually frogs.

Paul.

Thanks Dave.

I've only had a couple of newts over the years and would like more but it's unlikely to happen. I see a few toads occasionally but it's usually frogs.

Paul.
I think but could be wrong you can't have newts and frog tadpoles in the same small pond.

Back