Bee ( and ID required please )

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
Photographed this small Bee in the garden, collecting pollen from the Achillea and it was about 8/9mm in length, so if anyone can ID it for me that would be greatly appreciated.

Canon 7D, 100mm f2.8 Macro + Raynox 150

_MG_8320-2.jpg

I would think this is a Honey Bee although I don`t see any pollen sacks and I can`t see the mouth area.
If you belong to social media sites like FB they have some fantastic groups that will always be able to give you a positive ID
Or you could look on the internet, also very helpful.
Lovely shot.

It is not a honey bee
It a solitary bee of some sort probably male due to the lack of hair. Its nicley shot do have any other shots of it.

I went to a bee identification workshop a few weeks ago. The features we were using to identify the critters required the use of a microscope. Things like counting antenna segments and looking at grooves on the last abdominal segment. Can't really be done from photographs for most bees.

Sorry for the late reply guys...I forgot I posted this image, so cheers for the help.

No other shots from different angles, Alf...so other than it's a Solitary Bee I think I'm stuck re the ID.

Beautiful shot, it's a Colletes (Plasterer) Bee, a male.

As John says above it's one of the groups that can't be identified by photograph unfortunately as outside of the finer details that can't be seen by eye, they all look almost identical.

Thank you very much, Sarah...and I think you have nailed the ID, which as it happens is a new species to me :)

Back