Been offered a Mamiya RB67, guide prices please...

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm off to see a Mamiya RB67 Pro S outfit later.

Could you give me an idea what a fair price would be for said camera

50mm, 90mm 140mm macro lenses plus and 120 220 backs.

I've looked on ebay, and prices seem all over the place.

Ta Rich

I've just purchased an RZ67 Pro II, 110mm, WLF and 120 and Polaroid backs for £500

I guess anywhere around the £700-800 mark would be good for the setup you are being offered perhaps a little more if they are minty. Hope this helps

I'm off to see a Mamiya RB67 Pro S outfit later.

Could you give me an idea what a fair price would be for said camera

50mm, 90mm 140mm macro lenses plus and 120 220 backs.

I've looked on ebay, and prices seem all over the place.

Ta Rich

It's hard to give you an answer on this one, as condition of cameras will vary so much. There's a guy in Ireland currently asking 650 quid for a Pro S and 90mm lens, and it doesn't look all that mint either. To put that price in perspective Ffordes are selling off the last of their stock of new Mamiya Pro SDs complete for around 800 quid which is a crazy price for someone wanting a MF camera to work and last a lifetime.

First of all have a look at the overall condition - enamel chipped off and dents and dings - that puts me off straight away, but that's just me - it doesn't mean the camera wont be perfectly functional, but the price should reflect the condition.

Next you need to have a good look at the seals in the camera and in the mag backs. They're almost certain to be deteriorating. If they look brittle or going tarry with bits flaking off, they need replacing. If you press on the seals with a finger nail they should feel spongy and regain their shape. Ask the seller to remove the revolving back adapter and check the seals there too. It's an easy DIY job to replace the seals yourself and with far more durable materials these days. Often the sellers just don't realise how the seals have deteriorated, but again the price needs to reflect replacing the seals.

Check the lenses by fitting them in turn and checking out that the shutter speeds sound about right. (The shutters in these cameras are in each lens) Run through the apertures and make sure that they're not sticking. Hold the lenses up to the light and look for any signs of dust, fungus or scratches.

RB67s are pretty bullet proof work horses and you'd be going some to break one really. Any idea what the seller is asking for the kit?

I guess anywhere around the £700-800 mark would be good for the setup you are being offered perhaps a little more if they are minty. Hope this helps

Thanks Alexander

Any idea what the seller is asking for the kit?

Not yet.

Thanks for the tip on the seals. So if they're going how much for the body and backs?

Thanks Alexander

Not yet.

Thanks for the tip on the seals. So if they're going how much for the body and backs?
You can buy a kit off a guy called Interslice on ebay for under a tenner which will do a few bodies and backs. He sent me a full walk through 'how to' on resealing an RB67. I think I still have it if you buy the camera, but he'll happily send you instructions anyway.

As for price I have a mint body, a 120 back, two 220 backs, a 120/220 power back and drive, eye level and chimney metered finders. Mamiya double cable release, 90mm lens and 50mm lens as well as other bits and pieces like lens hoods and spare screens and the lot owes me around 800 quid, but I've built it up gradually from various sources.

If the body is really minty and complete, I suppose I'd be happy to pay around 400 quid at a push - you gets what you pays for and these cameras cost a fortune initially. If the seals are gone it isn't a deal breaker, but I'd use that to just try and gently ease the price down a little. ;)

You can buy a kit of a guy called Interslice on ebay for under a tenner which will do a few bodies and backs. He sent me a full walk through 'how to' on resealing an RB67. I think I still have it if you buy the camera, but he'll happily send you instructions anyway.

As for price I have a mint body, a 120 back, two 220 backs, a 120/220 power back and drive, eye level and chimney metered finders. Mamiya double cable release, 90mm lens and 50mm lens as well as other bits and pieces like lens hoods and spare screens and the lot owes me around 800 quid, but I've built it up gradually from various sources.

If the body is really minty and complete, I suppose I'd be happy to pay around 400 quid at a push - you gets what you pays for and these cameras cost a fortune initially. If the seals are gone it isn't a deal breaker, but I'd use that to just try and gently ease the price down a little.

Great thanks for the advice.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on. Best camera ever. ;)

Just to be clear - that would be 400 quid a for a complete body, lens, waist level finder and mag. You'd have to factor in the cost of the other lenses and back.

The 50mm is quite wide on an RB so is quite sought after - particularly nice ones. Decent 120 backs are always in demand, but 220 ones are less sought after as it's getting harder to get film, let alone get it processed.

A complete body should have front and rear body caps and a cover plate for the screen when the waist level finder is removed. Not essential of course, but all ammo to argue price.

Just to be clear - that would be 400 quid a for a complete body, lens, waist level finder and mag. You'd have to factor in the cost of the other lenses and back.

The 50mm is quite wide on an RB so is quite sought after - particularly nice ones. Decent 120 backs are always in demand, but 220 ones are less sought after as it's getting harder to get film, let alone get it processed.

A complete body should have front and rear body caps and a cover plate for the screen when the waist level finder is removed. Not essential of course, but all ammo to argue price.

TBH I'd only be really interested in body lens and a 120 back. Unless he's got a giveaway price for the lot of course. :)

Waiting for him to ring me now..............

Back