Best 35mm B+W film

Name
Sean
Edit My Images
Yes
I'll keep this short and sweet.

I'm going to New York in October, and I want to shoot mostly black and white film.
I want a really nice film that is still easy enough to get developed (and put on CD). Not too bothered on the price, but would like to keep it under £6 for a roll or £15 for process paid.

I have been recommended Agfascala, but not sure really.

I don't feel up to the task of devving it myself, and I don't like the results C41 films get.

So, what do you suggest!?

I want to take probably around 8 rolls.

I was thinking 2 of each of the following:

- Fuji Neopan 400
- Fuji Neopan 1600
- Agfa Scala 200x Professional
- Ilford FP4 125

Basically, I want to have the bases covered as far as ISO's go.
I know I want to try a very low ISO film and a very high ISO film.

The Agfa Scala is a definite, but I'm not sure what to go with for the low ISO, high ISO and mid ISO, hence the ones I've thought about above. (y) :)

:Hi foodpoison I would agree with the delta 100 I would take delta 400 as well it will give more scope on duller days etc. Enjoy your trip.
Guid health :beer:

What about some 3200, if you end up in a dark hole ?
You'd better shoot some slide or there'll be trouble...:boxer:

:D

That's a shame :( I was looking forward to using some brand of film I'd never used before :p

Nevermind. Tbh, to the untrained eye, I probably wouldn't notice the difference between one slide film and another :p

Adox CHS 25 is a great, really fine grained slow film, lovely tonality and an old emulsion so will give you a bit of a classic look, especially if used with older lenses

Problem with slow film is that I'm not taking a tripod. Trying to keep the kit to a minimum.
Would love to try a slow film in a wonderful place like New York, but I'm not up to it.

In the years to come, it's a definite.

Would just like to say a massive thanks to Joxby who has sent me, free of charge, a roll of Ilford HP5, Fujichrome Velvia 100, and Fuji Neopan 1600.

Good stuff mate! (y)

i hope you are going to push that neopan 1600 at least one stop , lets see some real grain !

i think i'll just shoot it as is, I don't want to get confused with pushing and pulling before I've even started to do anything properly haha

Pushing film is nothing big. Your just adding an extra couple of stops to the film which is making it more senstive to light, which adds some grain/contrast.

Just try it!! I did on some Delta 100 @ 200. Worked really well

Another thing, would these be okay going through an X-Ray?

Anything up to 1600 is fine.

cherryrig said:
Pushing film is nothing big. Your just adding an extra couple of stops to the film which is making it more senstive to light, which adds some grain/contrast.

Just try it!! I did on some Delta 100 @ 200. Worked really well

How do you "add a couple of stops" to it? Do you mean the aperture? :shrug:

Consider taking a single roll of Delta 3200 in case you feel the need to go shooting at night.

Back