Black and white films for a beginner

Edit My Images
No
Ok, I have managed to find all the equipment I need for developing except the chemicals and the films. I figured I will buy the chemicals from a camera shop when I need them rather than over the net for the time being as I am in the process of moving between countries.

My question is - which films should I try out as a beginner to black and white. I know pretty much what is available, but I don't know which will give the results I am looking for.

Is there a site which gives an example of a photo taken with each brand and speed of film?
I am looking for a variety of films to try from fine to grainy - I would like more to try some grainy ones as I have used fine grain films before.
Which are the best grainy films and which films are a must for me to experiment with that will give me the best idea of which film does what?

Thanks

just try out various brands/types of film and see which one you like best.

personally i love Ilford HP5 and XP2 but it's all about personal choice

If you don't wanna develop the film yourself, can't do much better than Ilford XP2. For everything else, any B&W film (almost) will do. Can't go wrong with Ilford stuff in general. Or Kodak stuff. Or Fuji stuff.

for examples /reviews of almost every available 35/120 film then check out

http://www.lomography.com/magazine/films/list

The colour films are mostly cross processed as it a lomography site, but the B&W films are straight up.
I found this very helpful for film selection.

Back