Black Honda CR-V

Dal

Is always right
Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
dWent out last night to try a new lighting technique for black cars.

Got to use the other halfs dads Black Honda CR-V

What do you all think?

5069486853_36ae226d72_b.jpg

That is looking smart ... what technique was it you used?

Owning a black car myself I wouldn't mind giving this a go!

Now that would make sense ... have been meaning to try for a while a technique called painting with light but yet to try it.

It's nice and clean but there's something about it that just doesn't seem to click. I'm not sure...maybe it's just too clean? lol It might be the front wheels, I think they need to be turned the other way to make the angle fit - so that the car is leaning into the shot as it's looks like negative camber. Just my thoughts! :)

It's nice and clean but there's something about it that just doesn't seem to click. I'm not sure...maybe it's just too clean? lol It might be the front wheels, I think they need to be turned the other way to make the angle fit - so that the car is leaning into the shot as it's looks like negative camber. Just my thoughts! :)

Wheels are the right way round for a car photo - think it's mainly lighting the OP's seeking feedback on.

Darren, FWIW the feedback I get when lightpainting cars is that the reflected lines *can* look out of place esp in a middle-of-nowhere shot. I tend to place my separation light about 3/4 across the windscreen whereas yours on the far A-pillar goes someway to addressing that criticism.

I must agree the wheels are facing the right way, I am always concious of this too. Think about it, if they were facing the other way then all you would see is the tread on the tyre.

I agree it's better to see the alloys rather than tread (depending on the shot though
car-photography-1.jpg
) but I think it's just the way the car seems to be leaning in relation to the direction of the wheels. It could just be the angle or the way I'm looking at it. Still a good photo thuogh :)

That looks great! I'll have to give it a try.

One tiny tiny little thing would be to clone out the tax disc and sticker on the windscreen.

Wheels are the right way, looks horrid the other way. Glad thats the only thing you don't like though :D

Wheels are the right way round for a car photo - think it's mainly lighting the OP's seeking feedback on.

Darren, FWIW the feedback I get when lightpainting cars is that the reflected lines *can* look out of place esp in a middle-of-nowhere shot. I tend to place my separation light about 3/4 across the windscreen whereas yours on the far A-pillar goes someway to addressing that criticism.

First off andy what does FWIW mean lol:shrug:

Yeah, the location sucked for this really but just wanted to try the technique. Next time I'll try it in london hopefully :).

Are you saying you prefer how I've got the light on the A-pillar rather than on the windscreen or that you think it would be better on the windscreen?

I must agree the wheels are facing the right way, I am always concious of this too. Think about it, if they were facing the other way then all you would see is the tread on the tyre.
Exactly (y)

I agree it's better to see the alloys rather than tread (depending on the shot though
car-photography-1.jpg
) but I think it's just the way the car seems to be leaning in relation to the direction of the wheels. It could just be the angle or the way I'm looking at it. Still a good photo thuogh :)
Not quite sure what you mean as the car is on level ground. The wheel is probably having a bit of positive camber due to the caster.

That looks great! I'll have to give it a try.

One tiny tiny little thing would be to clone out the tax disc and sticker on the windscreen.

Good point (y)

FWIW = for what it's worth

The reason I lightpaint cars is to achieve reflected lines of light along the panels so to that extent I don't prefer your A-pillar lighting. However, I *think* your style will be better received - think the hypercritical but annoyingly right DS crowd - because the lighting can be better explained/ looks less out of place.

That said- if you're shooting in a city, with a considered comp you should get away with your lighting wherever the reflections appear. Hope your source is man enough for the job - city lights tend to take no prisoners. Looks up to it though, assuming you're compositing?

FWIW = for what it's worth

The reason I lightpaint cars is to achieve reflected lines of light along the panels so to that extent I don't prefer your A-pillar lighting. However, I *think* your style will be better received - think the hypercritical but annoyingly right DS crowd - because the lighting can be better explained/ looks less out of place.

That said- if you're shooting in a city, with a considered comp you should get away with your lighting wherever the reflections appear. Hope your source is man enough for the job - city lights tend to take no prisoners. Looks up to it though, assuming you're compositing?

Ah right I get what you mean now.

Have a look at the ford focus shot I posted up. the light was too strong on the windscreen for that so I prefered this one. Think it will vary alot for each car/location as to what looks better.

I do have a frame for a sweep across the windscreen but I wasn't keen on it.

I really hope the light is good enough for in the city. It should be as these are about a 10second shutter at f14. About 8 or 9 frames in total I think I used.

I like it, but may be too much foreground ie car too far back? Just my opinion, thanks for sharing.

Back