Blast from the past comparison

• Thread starter Deleted member 3428
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3428

3 macro photos, 1 taken with the Canon MP-e 65 (2017), 1 with an Olympus 60mm macro lens (2018) and the other with a 7mp bridge camera (2008). can you guess which is which just by vision?

Moody head shot taken with the Canon 40d and MP-e 65.

Dance Fly - Empis livida by Ajophotog, on ipernity

Full body shot taken with the Panasonic FZ8 7mp Bridge camera.

Syritta pipens by Ajophotog, on ipernity

Coming to get yer taken with the Olympus E-M1 mkII and M.Zuiko 60mm Macro Lens.

Shieldbug Nymph by Ajophotog, on ipernity

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with Mark (Lepus) Alby, they all look great but the 2nd is superb, love the detail (y)

Nope me either.
but that #2 is blinding Alby (y)

(That's Probably the bridge camera, knowing my luck :D)

Have to add , that 2nd pic has amazing D.O.F , and superb lighting .
Thanks Lepus, the little panny fz8 with a Raynox clipped on the front served me very well and produced some great photos. I do still have it so might give it an outing during lockdown.

Thanks Lepus, the little panny fz8 with a Raynox clipped on the front served me very well and produced some great photos. I do still have it so might give it an outing during lockdown.

All great shots here Alby, an it just goes to show, you don't need high end gear for quality macro images (which is what ive been saying for years).
Whilst i never owned the Panny FZ8, i have owned FZ28, 38, 45, 50, 150 an now use the FZ330(and i still use the legendary FZ50 too).

All great shots here Alby, an it just goes to show, you don't need high end gear for quality macro images (which is what ive been saying for years).
Whilst i never owned the Panny FZ8, i have owned FZ28, 38, 45, 50, 150 an now use the FZ330(and i still use the legendary FZ50 too).
Exactly Paul, l never owned the fz50 but wanted to due to the manual focus and zoom rings and hotshoe of course.

Exactly Paul, l never owned the fz50 but wanted to due to the manual focus and zoom rings and hotshoe of course.

Ive had my FZ50 for approx. 5 years now. Its manual lens is great, it has a max of F/11...it might be close to 15 years old now, but it still produces lovely images.
Ive just posted some images of Red Mason Bees (see my new thread) both FZ50 an FZ330 were used...no difference in quality(in my opinion).

Ive had my FZ50 for approx. 5 years now. Its manual lens is great, it has a max of F/11...it might be close to 15 years old now, but it still produces lovely images.
Ive just posted some images of Red Mason Bees (see my new thread) both FZ50 an FZ330 were used...no difference in quality(in my opinion).
Very nice the red mason bees are tooPaul. What flash do you use on the fz50?

Very nice the red mason bees are tooPaul. What flash do you use on the fz50?

Thanks for that Alby.
I only ever use on board camera flash for macro, with the help of homemade Pringles diffusers, then its just a case of trying different flash settings. Using Raynox lenses does alter things, depending on either 150 or 250 or both stacked, an various zoom lengths...I should alter camera flash settings (minus or plus) more often, but as you know, when dealing with highly active subjects, you dont get a lot of time in between shots!
I should say that for my butterfly images, 99.9% of the time, i will not use flash at all...but thats another story.

Thanks for that Alby.
I only ever use on board camera flash for macro, with the help of homemade Pringles diffusers, then its just a case of trying different flash settings. Using Raynox lenses does alter things, depending on either 150 or 250 or both stacked, an various zoom lengths...I should alter camera flash settings (minus or plus) more often, but as you know, when dealing with highly active subjects, you dont get a lot of time in between shots!
I should say that for my butterfly images, 99.9% of the time, i will not use flash at all...but thats another story.
Well you and it does a great job Paul ;)

Alby , have you used the Raynox on any DSLR lenses ? Is it worth adding on a 100mm Macro , or a 1-400 zoom for example .

Alby , have you used the Raynox on any DSLR lenses ? Is it worth adding on a 100mm Macro , or a 1-400 zoom for example .
I have used it on a few canon lenses quite a few years ago, they do work well but do obviously cut the dof down. They worked well on canon 70-200 l lens really well if l remember correctly. You are limited to 62mm with the clip on adapter so to go above the filter size you will need to use step down rings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back