Bodmin Diesel Gala

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Have been on here on and off for a little while now and, as this is a photography forum, it has a transport section, and the photos of steam seem to far outweigh those of diesels, I thought I'd try to start to redress the balance.

Both shots were taken last Saturday.

The first one is of 50042 at Bodmin Parkway, having worked down from Bodmin General, with an HST leaving beside.

This second shot is of the classic footbridge at Bodmin. Comments welcome.

Shots taken with Canon EOS450D and 18-55 IS kit lens.

Last edited:
Thanks. I was just lining up the shot and then suddenly realised the HST leaving may have an interesting effect.

The lack of steam is intentional. There's far too much of that in railway photographs on here! ;)

More diesels is the way forward. :)

Ayup Goody...didn't realise you were on here :)
Missed the gala...was on hols. Nice shots there though.

I reckon theres a few closet diesel fans on here. Definitely the way forward (y)

Hi Dave. Been on here for a few months now, but these are the first shots I've posted. Think I'll have to do it more often.

Cheers for the comments. At least it proves there are people on here that appreciate proper locos (sits back and waits for outrage from the steam brigade!) ;)

I do shoot diesels sometimes :D

Img_6847c.jpg

It's a shame that people don't always realise the merits of diesels. I can see the attraction of steam, but it's not for me.

Maybe it's what you grew up with. That's what did it for me, and as a teenager in the '80s, that's why I find diesels more interesting.

Yep i grew up on the Southern and in the 70s it was 50s, 33s and occasional Deltics.
Class 50s will always be my favourites due to the above reason.

My fondness for rail has returned as I now work on the railways

Career railwayman here too...21 years this week.
I spent most of my youth chasing 50s around as well...as did Goody, and no doubt between us we have more than a few quids worth of shares in the preserved ones! (y)

I really wish I had got into photography earlier actually, because I have very few pictures of them in traffic. Mind you...i was only in my mid-teens at the time, so other things took preference!

Theres a few iffy scans here if youre interested. Mostly shot with an old Praktica BCA (which was the height of technology for a 16 year old at the time...i still have it!)
http://daveredbourne.fotopic.net/c1788159_1.html

The good old Western Champion, Ive signalled that through my area on many an occation, I even signalled it one night as a 1Z99, happy days

Last edited:
Career railwayman here too...21 years this week.
I spent most of my youth chasing 50s around as well...as did Goody, and no doubt between us we have more than a few quids worth of shares in the preserved ones! (y)

I really wish I had got into photography earlier actually, because I have very few pictures of them in traffic. Mind you...i was only in my mid-teens at the time, so other things took preference!

Theres a few iffy scans here if youre interested. Mostly shot with an old Praktica BCA (which was the height of technology for a 16 year old at the time...i still have it!)
http://daveredbourne.fotopic.net/c1788159_1.html

According to my mate a 50s fan thats you in the def leopard shirt

Certainly is....a very young me! Older, dumber and hairier now mind (y)

Also been told to say the Stephen Hawkin photo is legendary.

Apparently, was that you Goody?

Apparently so, but it was only pointed out to me a couple of years ago! Who's your mate that knows me and Dave then?

Ah! Saw him a couple of weeks ago!

Quite spooky all these connections. I think there's a great many closet cranks out there, obviously not Dave Searle!

I worked with him for 15 years still stays in contact even more so since i left working under his dad to go on the railways

Back