Buying a second hand film camera

cowasaki

TPer Emeritus
Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
Right its Mrs Cowasaki's birthday at the beginning of August and she keeps cooing over any picture of an old OM10 kit. Some scumbag stole the one she had when she was younger and she has been bitter and twisted ever since.

Anyway I know nothing about film cameras yet (I plan to buy a F4/5 eventually to use my existing Nikon kit) so when I go to buy said camera what should I be looking at to make sure it is likely ok? How much is an OM10 and a walkabout lens worth? Should I be looking for the same focal length lenses I would buy for a modern FF camera?

Oh and once I know what I am looking for I start a wanted thread BUT if someone has one let me know (and I'll get this one moved!)

MODS: If I should have stuck this in wanted then feel free to move it and sorry!

I'd second the OM1 (I had one years ago) or even better, an OM2. I never had the OM2 but can well remember lusting after one :)

OM20.... I still have mine fron the 1980s....Wonderfull camera, I still pop the odd film through it.

She had an OM10 so I wanted to get her another one without going over the top.

I bought her 4 hammers for her birthday !!!!!!!

That is what she really wanted. She opened them with that look on her face that reminds me of opening the box of a new camera or lens :) Arr bless. Anyway they are precision German hammers made specifically for jewellery making and you can feel the quality. They only sell them in America so I bought her 4 German Hammers from America for £200 but she does like them.

The camera is an extra

The woman knows best gentlemen! I used to take some stunning pictures with my original OM10 and it was nicked by my scum-bag neighbours (although the police wouldn't do anything about it because I had no evidence. Long story. Ex-husband left front door key in outside of front door and it went missing. He wouldn't change the locks. Neighbours watched intently every Sunday as we went off to church. Our camera and all my decent jewellery went missing, but we didn't notice until about a week later, when we wanted to use the camera. One Sunday I stayed at home and doorbell rang ten minutes after husband and kids went out. Left it about three minutes, convinced they would use our key. Got scared of confrontation so answered door. Neighbours jumped a mile, SO surprised anyone was in, saying "**, **, **, can we borrow a slice of bread?". Another neighbour also told me he had seen them coming from the back of our house one day a few weeks earlier with a number of items). Anyway, I've missed my OM10 so much ever since, and the worst thing was that the camera had a part-used film of pictures of our newborn youngest son!!! We'll never get them back. But fact is, I knew how to use my OM10 and I've had about three or four cameras since, which I just couldn't get on with.

Cowasaki done good! I was feeling rather blue today, so he decided to give me an early birthday present - yep - an OM10 with three lenses and other bits!!! I can't wait to get the films he's ordered through the post (hopefully tomorrow) and take her for a spin!!!

People always have an idea of what's best in these situations, but sometimes only a particular thing will do - and this is one of those situations. By the way, I don't like sharing lenses. When you want to capture a particular picture, going hunting for hubby's Fort Knox-like Peli case with all his camera equipment and then trying to find the right lens is rather a pain in the butt. I like to have my own equipment to hand.

Back