Bye-bye IONOS, hello huge savings!

Name
Steve, Coventry, England
Edit My Images
Yes
Spent the last couple of days transferring domains, websites and emails.

Took a 4 year plan with Hostinger, which cost about £150 including SSL. That is less than one year of SSL with IONOS!!!! (IONOS SSL does include insurance, I don't know if Hostinger does, I'm not interested, all I want is the padlock!)

The domain renewals each year are between 15-20% cheaper

Total savings over the 4 years are between £1200 and £2000, the reason for the difference is it depends on how much discount they give me, and they won't tell me that until I have renewed the contract!
They say I must wait until the contract has renewed, then phone and ask them for discount. Been the same story for the last few years, but carried on because of the work to transfer everything.
I was on Premium hosting and SSL unlimited, which is what they say I needed, though speaking to one of their agents a few minutes ago, who was actually in the UK and seems to know what he was talking about (unlike all the others who can't get anything right, and always suggest I spend more money to fix the problem) it seems he could of found a less expensive way of doing things.

Been with them over 19 years, and set up over 100 accounts with them, plus many more recommendations, they used to be good and not expensive

Actually quite relieved to see the back of them :)

With IONOS Now.

VPS 4 Cores, 8Gb RAM, 240Gb Storage, Unlimited Traffic, Free SSL £16/month.

What the hell did you have that you can spend £150/year and still save £500/year?

I was with TSO Host before that and they were charging me £70/month for a similar sized VPS

With IONOS Now.

VPS 4 Cores, 8Gb RAM, 240Gb Storage, Unlimited Traffic, Free SSL £16/month.

What the hell did you have that you can spend £150/year and still save £500/year?

I was with TSO Host before that and they were charging me £70/month for a similar sized VPS
Best way to answer that

As you see here, the basic charge is £26 a month, less discount, which I have n way of knowing if they would continue it, last year it took a long phone call to get it, and I was given the impression I would probably not get it again.
invi.jpg

Then they made a mess of changing the SSL dates, and this is from the email I got after they tried to sort it out. I say tried, because nothing was done.
ssl.jpg

Hostingers .com renewals are £10.96 a year vs IONOS £15, so even that is £25 a year saving, plus other domains, means I am saving at least £40 a year on domain renewals.
Above is taken from one months invoice, some months there are more domain renewals, some even none.

For comparison, here is the first few lines on payment history from Hostinger.
That 149.18 includes SSL on al domains and sub-domains

They also include one free domain for the first year, useful as a staging point for transfers

hinv.jpg

They’re advertising premium at £16/month on their website which seems a lot for what I assume is a shared server.

If your just running a couple of sites you could have got a VPS from them for a lot less.

They’re advertising premium at £16/month on their website which seems a lot for what I assume is a shared server.

If your just running a couple of sites you could have got a VPS from them for a lot less.

I asked them many times if they could find a less costly way. There was always a reason why not, like too few mail boxes, limited size mail boxes, limited storage.

I could never tie up what I had with what they advertised, and when I questioned it, there was always a reason (and I think most of their reasons were bull)

I think now it is down to 12 domains and about 20 websites (been deleting as I moved)

Check out for renewal price and customer support, I have been with Webhostuk and their price structure is pretty stable with normal upgrade in pricing from past 10 years.. which I have seen is insane with most of the providers offering affordable price to start with.

Check out for renewal price and customer support, I have been with Webhostuk and their price structure is pretty stable with normal upgrade in pricing from past 10 years.. which I have seen is insane with most of the providers offering affordable price to start with.
Yes.
The renewal price with Hostinger after the 4 years is up is given, apparently the amount is the same as they expect to be offering the 4 year contract for at that time.
But there is 4 years before I have to think about that :)

I asked them many times if they could find a less costly way. There was always a reason why not, like too few mail boxes, limited size mail boxes, limited storage.

I could never tie up what I had with what they advertised, and when I questioned it, there was always a reason (and I think most of their reasons were bull)

I think now it is down to 12 domains and about 20 websites (been deleting as I moved)

Wow that pretty poor of them.

A VPS can run unlimited domains and has unlimited mail boxes. Essentially it's a virtual server for you to do with what you want. You have full SSL access to root level. Obviously with 20 websites you need to spec the server appropriately.

Sounds like you spoke to a bit of a bell end.

Back