Calling all scanner users.

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
I have an Epson V850 scanner.
It came with an xrite i1 5 X 4 colour transparency.
Anyone know what it does or more specifically, how to use it?

Actually it may well be an IT8.
I'll have to read the Silverfast intructions again.

Would any of you like to share how or what you scan your images with.
Most of the pictures look really good and better than mine.

Plustek 8100 I used to so the Dslr scanning because I used to, why I don't know, scan every single frame.

Now I just scan the keepers.

What scanner are you using? @FishyFish has an excellent technique for MF on an Epson flatbed, and I'm sure he'll be along to share it shortly.

What scanner are you using? @FishyFish has an excellent technique for MF on an Epson flatbed, and I'm sure he'll be along to share it shortly.

I still use pretty much the same process as I describe here:

The only real differences now are that I scan colour stuff differently, so that's changed (and I've never written down the technique), and I switch off the unsharp mask and use Sharpener Pro 3: Output Sharpener from the Nik Collection instead now. I don't scan 135 film on the Epson any more either - I use the Plustek for that.

Last edited:
I scan using an Epson flatbed. I started with a 2400 I think) and moved through the models until reaching the V850. As I only scan medium format (a small amount) and large format (mainly) I find the results perfectly acceptable. I do have a Plustek 120 scanner, which does give slightly better results with 120 film than the Epson, but not markedly.

My method is pretty primitive. I use VueScan, scan at a high resolution and use VueScan to "sample down" the image giving a file size of about 335,000 KB as reported by Windows Explorer. The unreduced scans and raw files from the scanner are 1,380,000 KB. I keep the raw files.

My reason for using the raw option in VueScan is that VueScan lets me import the file and apply any curves or film types to that, rather than having to rescan. Reading a large file is faster than scanning a large negative. My first 5x4 scans on an older computer took 4 hours to complete, and that was the original impetus to switch to VueScan. When I didn't know what effect different settings had, having to take another 4 hours to see if a small change made a difference was ever so slightly tedious.

The one thing I have found is that VueScan's film presets do make a difference to the scan, but I have also found that switching film types does help, even when scanning consecutive negatives from the same strip (when I scan 6x7s).

Please note that I rarely use colour film. And as I haven't really posted much here, if you want to see my scans take a look at my very much in progress web site where I can guarantee that all the scans are old ones...

Last edited:
I'm using the epson 850 and most of my stuff is on Velvia.
I'll be trying kodak portra 160 real soon to see if I can improve shadows/highlights.

Currently I switch between silverfast and epson scan 2. I guess I should give vuescan a go as the silverfast interface is messy.

I have a fluid mount but can't discern any major advantage in image quality other than being able to include the film edges.

I use a Plustek 7500i for my 135, and an Epson V500 for 120 or 4x5 (with stitching), with Vuescan Pro as the scanning software. The Plustek is a bit of a PITA at the moment as the multi-scan registration is unreliable. This means I couldn't use the infrared dust capability, although at the moment I'm only scanning black and white. For normal 135 I scan at 4800 for most frames and downsize in Vuescan to 2400 samples per inch; seems to give about as good a result as doing a x2 multiscan. I keep dithering about replacing the Plustek, but generally if things work (or close enough) I'm reluctant to spend biggish money on them!

I have found my colour negative scanning to give relatively poor results, so in general I would get Filmdev to process and scan for me. I do still have some negatives from the 9180s and 90s to retroscan; I think they would need infrared dust removal, so will probably wait until I do get a new scanner. Multiple record shots of babies...

I still use pretty much the same process as I describe here:

The only real differences now are that I scan colour stuff differently, so that's changed (and I've never written down the technique), and I switch off the unsharp mask and use Sharpener Pro 3: Output Sharpener from the Nik Collection instead now. I don't scan 135 film on the Epson any more either - I use the Plustek for that.
Nige, did that get referenced in the Big Scanner thread? Would be useful, I think...

I'm not sure, but happy for it to be featured if people find it useful. I might tweak it a little so it just focuses on B&W if you want to go ahead.
I have added it into the Epson Scan section of the Big Film Scanner thread, and also referenced your post in this thread. If you want to update it, just let me know and I'll link to that.

I have added it into the Epson Scan section of the Big Film Scanner thread, and also referenced your post in this thread. If you want to update it, just let me know and I'll link to that.
Thanks Chris - I've now updated my original post with a few notes (in red) to state the changes to my process since I originally documented it.

Back