Canon 5D mk II official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D2

One of the first shots from my 5D2. Nailed focus on most shots. Really ahppy with results so far.

picture-17.jpg

its as good as the xxd series af maybe better (y)

What remote do people use with their 5dii? I want something that will enable me to shoot whatever length of exposure I like, not worried if it's canon or third party. Not bothered about wireless - wired is fine but ideally i'd like it to be able to change shutter duration, iso and aperture.

There are so many options out there including about a million different types on ebay that it's all a bit confusing.

edit/

Any idea what the difference between the Canon TC 80N3 and the Phottix TR-90 is, other than over £50 and a Canon badge?

Last edited:
many of you gripped your 5D2s and if so are there any decent 3rd party grips as the canon one is a bit pricey amd seriously considering it to make the camera easier to hold in portrait and give a bit more life as will have 2 batteries.

I use my rf-602s as a radio trigger but intend to buy the photix one with a timer in at some point

I personally don't like the feel of grips, and reguarly pull 1200 shots from a battery so can't be a massive help I'm afraid

I've gone for the Phottix TR-90; I'll report back when it's here!

After reading the thread regarding 3rd party batteries, has anyone on here using the 5DmkII had any problems with using one? apart from the obvious level of charge not showing? I've always had a couple of 3rd partys with previous set-ups and don't wanna be splashing out on 2 originals (y)

cheers

Interested to know what you folks are using for sensor cleaning on the 5D2. I've used Lenspen Sensor Klean and Arctic butterfly (oh and a blower). I guess the other route is wet clean.

Interested to know what you folks are using for sensor cleaning on the 5D2. I've used Lenspen Sensor Klean and Arctic butterfly (oh and a blower). I guess the other route is wet clean.

Not had to do mine yet, but I've got a SensorKlear for when the time comes.

Also got some spatulas, PecPads and Eclipse fluid for if it ever needs a wet clean. Forking out for ready-made sensor swabs is the biggest waste of money ever :(

A.

for the owners - i will need to get some 8Gb cards for my camera when it gets here. can you let me know how many RAW files its shows it can hold on a formatted card please.. This way i know how many to order and how many small ones to get rid of!

for the owners - i will need to get some 8Gb cards for my camera when it gets here. can you let me know how many RAW files its shows it can hold on a formatted card please.. This way i know how many to order and how many small ones to get rid of!

The RAWs are anywhere between 21MB and 30MB.
I found 7dayshop is the cheapest for 30Mb/s 8GB Sandisk cards at £19.99.
I think Amazon and 7day are around the same price for 60Mb/s 8GB Sandisk UDMA cards at around £43.

You can never have too many! :)

more than i expected.

The RAWs are anywhere between 21MB and 30MB.
I found 7dayshop is the cheapest for 30Mb/s 8GB Sandisk cards at £19.99.
I think Amazon and 7day are around the same price for 60Mb/s 8GB Sandisk UDMA cards at around £43.

You can never have too many! :)

yeah looked at 7dayshop and mymemory as well. need to shift my 1&2Gb cards, i think i'll hang onto my 4Gb's and get 3 lots of 8GB. Got a couple of weddings to do soon and i will have over 1000 shot capacity. Thats ususally fine for the amont of shots i do in a wedding.

Turns out it's not gonna arrive - they did that good old trick of taking my cash even though the remote's out of stock and on back order, so I've canceled. I'll try and pick one up when I'm back from France!

Right, bank balance has confirmed i am going to pick up my 5DII today - excited is not the word! WOOHOO!

A trip to york on monday for a test - cant wait! I have a 17-40mm on the way but not gonig to be here in time for my trip but oh well!

Turns out it's not gonna arrive - they did that good old trick of taking my cash even though the remote's out of stock and on back order, so I've canceled. I'll try and pick one up when I'm back from France!

I just ordered a TR-90 C8 from a Hong Kong eBay trader for £17 including delivery. I placed my order long after close of business on Friday (Saturday morning in their time zone) and it shipped yesterday, which is a pretty typical timeframe. It might take a couple of weeks to arrive, but at £17 I can afford to wait. I nearly fell off my seat when I saw the price at Hawks.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m38.l1313&_nkw=tr-90+c8&_sacat=See-All-Categories

The differences between the TR-80 and TR-90 seem to be mostly in the interface design. Also, the TR-90 can take up to 399 timed shots vs only 99 for the TR-80, and the TR-90 takes AAA batteries, which I prefer to the button cell used in the TR-80. Functionally (other than the shot count limit) I believe they offer identical features.

WOW the mirror slap is like an artilary shell compared to the rattle of my 9mm 50D.

That's considerably more than I get into 8Gb!
For me, I'd say 230-250 is more typical.

Never really thought about it before. I just had a formatted card in my camera when I saw the post and that`s what it said was available.

I am sure someone will come along who knows a lot more than me (which wouldn`t be difficult) and explain why there might be differences.

yeah higher ISO's increase the file size so less image capacity.

I just ordered a TR-90 C8 from a Hong Kong eBay trader for £17 including delivery. I placed my order long after close of business on Friday (Saturday morning in their time zone) and it shipped yesterday, which is a pretty typical timeframe. It might take a couple of weeks to arrive, but at £17 I can afford to wait. I nearly fell off my seat when I saw the price at Hawks.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m38.l1313&_nkw=tr-90+c8&_sacat=See-All-Categories

The differences between the TR-80 and TR-90 seem to be mostly in the interface design. Also, the TR-90 can take up to 399 timed shots vs only 99 for the TR-80, and the TR-90 takes AAA batteries, which I prefer to the button cell used in the TR-80. Functionally (other than the shot count limit) I believe they offer identical features.

It arrived today, just ten days (including two weekends) after placing my order. It works exactly as advertised. :D

Last edited:
Just joined the club:D - but won;t have chance to use it until tomorow :thumbsdown:

** goes to pray for some sunshine **

What are peoples first tips once it's out the box?

2weeks and first real test today. thankyou sunshine.

Hi all!
Ordered my 5DII from Kerso today! Not sure what type of spare battery to order, what do you guys use....?

Dunc

Congrats Duncan.

I'm using Canon batteries, at the time I was able to get Canon's for £5 more than 3rd party batteries.

Fitted mates 18-200 tamron on my 5D had some black around the outside and AF was slow but still produced some great images.

4494390025_d49c0c1ce4.jpg

Back