Canon 60 mm lens vs 100mm vs x for Canon EOS RP

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
I like my Canon 60 mm lens but sometimes it hunts and autofocus does not work and I prefer autofocus.
I would love it if I could limit the focus so it only focus at certain magnification.
I believe that the Canon 100 mm does this so am thinking of changing for this lens or something else.

Any thoughts? Maybe I could get the autofocus to work better somehow.

Last edited:
Yes, the Canon 100mm macro (F2.8L) has focus distance limiter switch. It has 3 setting: Full, 0.5-infinity, 0.3-0.5m.

Yes, the Canon 100mm macro (F2.8L) has focus distance limiter switch. It has 3 setting: Full, 0.5-infinity, 0.3-0.5m.
Thank you, do you think that the autofocus would work better with the limiter?
Or maybe the non L or Tamron could be a better idea.

For macro work (i.e. 1:1 or greater) I use manual focus. I set the repro ratio to what I want and then rock backwards and forwards to focus. For close up work with things like butterflies and dragonfliees (typically 1/6 - 1/4 life size) I do use the 100mm on auto focus with the limiter set to its closer range, but I use back button focus so I decide when I want it to focus. The last thing I want is for the lens to decide to change focus when I press the button! Of course, if you are trying to get things in flight, then that is a different scenario.

I hired a Canon 100mm l lens and I compared it (not as much as I would have liked) with my 60 mm lens.
I took loads of photos a few of which I have put on flickr (I can put the rest if people are interested).
I don't think that the image quality was really any better. The autofocus was definitely no quicker. In fact it could be slower.
Saying that if anyone living near London has a different lens and wants to pm to organize testing together that would be interesting.

Back