Canon 70-200 f/4L vs Sigma 70-200 f/2.8

Edit My Images
No
Hello,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma at the moment trying to decide between the Canon 70-200 f/4L and the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8. Will be buying from Onestop Digital. The canon is £400, and the Sigma is £460. I've owned the the Sigma 70-300 DG previously and didn't get on with it too well - I found it soft and generally slow. Perhaps I had a bad example however.

I understand both are very nice sharp lenses. The Sigma comes with the tripod collar where as the Canon does not. I haven't used the Canon yet, but I had a chance to use the Sigma a few days ago and was very impressed with the quality and feel of the lens, the only thing putting me off is it's weight - is 1.27kg too heavy to use handheld?

Just wondering if anyone can offer any advice to try and help me make my mind up between the two. Which would you buy - and why?

I had the same decision and went with the Canon eventually. Reasons were.

1. Proven quality of L
2. No worries about backwards compatability in the future.
3. Mixed reports on quality control for the sigma.

However, the F2.8 was a big draw, I've since seen the output on a Nikon D70 and the samples I saw were very sharp indeed. At least equal to the canon I'd say.

I also have the Canon and can say I am completely happy with it. Its very sharp, works well with a 1.4X TC and is small and light.

Sigma has quality control issues and unless you get a good example of the lens you will be disapointed. That does not mean to say that the lens should not be considered, just that if it where me I would be trying before I buy, which rules out one stop for the purchase.

You have tried the Sigma, why not try the Canon as well then you can make an informed decision?

Also while an extra stop is desireable, do you really need it, is it essential to your shooting style?

If I was buying a lens in this range, my personal choice would be the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX.
The EX range is targeted at the pro and compares well against the equivelant kit from the major manufacturers canon and nikon.

The extra weight is down to it having more glass to let the extra light in,
and you will benefit from this if you take photos in low light situations.
This is the only reason I'd choose it over the f4 from canon.

You say you had soft images with the 70-300 at the long end.
This seems to be the norm from all the manufacturers when it comes to
the cheaper ranges of lens, even canon. So don't think its down to quality control issues, you get what you pay for.

If your going to buy Sigma make sure it has the 'EX' mark, ignore the APO, HSM and DG as these aren't really that important.

I have just purchased the Sigma 70-200 2.8 (Nikon mount).......not had much chance to put it through its paces but the few shots I have taken outside the house seem very sharp to me.

It is fast to focus and heavy.

The lens is just for general use really, and the extra stop will be nice - although not required. But it's only £60 more, and comes with the lens collar - something I'd probably want to buy for the Canon anyway.

My local Jessops have ordered in both lenses for me to try, and I'll get a good feel of both and make my mind up. Then I'll try and get the shop to price match as close to Onestop Digital as possible, else I'll just buy from them.

Thanks for the replies. :)

Get them to load up the test images to one of their in store pc's.

You can then see what results you are getting before you purchase the one of your choice.

Add don't forget to try them at full length and at different apps to see what effect this has (if any).

SammyC said:
Add don't forget to try them at full length and at different apps to see what effect this has (if any).

absolutely, try them wide open and see how sharp they are then. you'll soon know if they are soft :)

Nowhere has any stock of the 70-200 f/4 L :(

I've been frantically looking all week, and simply cannot find anywhere.

Jonny said:
Nowhere has any stock of the 70-200 f/4 L :(

I've been frantically looking all week, and simply cannot find anywhere.

Buy it online from e-bay, you'll save a bit as well :)

SDK^ said:
Buy it online from e-bay, you'll save a bit as well :)
I've been looking into that, do you think i should? The chances are i'll get spiked by import taxes though :(

I bought my 70-200L via eBay from a Hong Kong supplier. No taxes or import duties were paid although in theory the purchase should be declared either by the seller or the receiptiant.

milou said:
I bought my 70-200L via eBay from a Hong Kong supplier. No taxes or import duties were paid although in theory the purchase should be declared either by the seller or the receiptiant.
I've taken the chances, i've got a 70-200L coming to me from ebay :icon_cool

Back